• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[General] Real Estate

Strange_Brew

Legacy Supporter 3
To start with I should probably state that i'm a big fan of both Herocraft and my town Tarantia.

But, there are always areas for improvement and i've been thinking about a possible solution to a few issues.

The main issue i'm referring to is a largely irrelevant economy (But also see [Townships] Stop being so boring!).

The irrelevance of the economy is probably my #1 gripe. I've found that quite early on in Herocraft you're kinda left aimless. After you've finished your house, unless you attach yourself to a building project or some such, there's not a lot to do (I realise this is slowly changing with battlegrounds, etc). And apart from Herogates, there isn't much use for money.

I personally think its too easy to secure lodgings. I see recruiters not just throwing themselves at newbies and setting them up with a plot and in some cases tools, but they actually fight amongst themselves to secure new citizens.

There are a number of issues I think could be addressed by implementing a real estate system, whereby every plot of land in a town or otherwise had a cost attached to it. Plots could be bought outright or rented. This would provide income to the towns and actually provide some incentive to us plebs to carry out a number of activities.

Plots could be sold with houses already on them, with owners having the option to live in, destroy or modify as they choose. This could possibly even also lead to the creation of some 'jobs', with mayors/architects hiring out people to build homes to be sold to prospective citizens (possibly also increasing the value of materials).

As for newbies, towns could have public accommodation like hotels etc, with maybe just a bed and a chest until they can accumulate enough funds for their own place.

Home owners could rent out rooms or even the entire house as a source of income. I also think having a cost attached to all this would increase the prestige aspect of homes.

With a wipe possibly imminent sometime in the near future, it would make for an opportune time to look at something like this, before the economy becomes unbalanced and you get a few individuals buying everything.

There's a lot more to this, but i'd rather get some feedback before making this wall of text even larger.

Punisher79

Support the Death Penalty
Legacy Supporter 5
Re: Hotels

We tried this briefly in Zion (RIP). It didnt work. Although it did cut down the amount of regioning and re-regioning when the player quit the server a couple days later...

New players simply couldnt afford the initial costs of renting. Unless some sort of I.O.U was implemented, new players rarely had 100c by the first week.

But im sure this is different for every town, so it might not be applicable to all...

Strange_Brew

Legacy Supporter 3
Kainzo said:
We've been considering something like this for a while - but there arent plugins to support what we want.

Dang. As far as rents go, couldn't they be collected by reversing the interest system and debiting someone rather than crediting?

Punisher79 said:
Re: Hotels

We tried this briefly in Zion (RIP). It didnt work. Although it did cut down the amount of regioning and re-regioning when the player quit the server a couple days later...

New players simply couldnt afford the initial costs of renting. Unless some sort of I.O.U was implemented, new players rarely had 100c by the first week.

But im sure this is different for every town, so it might not be applicable to all...

I was thinking of the hotel as more of a free public bunkhouse for newbies, providing basic shelter and minimal storage which they'd outgrew pretty quickly.