• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Farmer-Only Breeding

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Farmers have a skill called Breed, which says "You can breed animals"
Other professions do not have the skill Breed, and in the past, that meant that the other professions could not breed.

Suggested change: Only Farmers can breed.

NEEDED fix: If everyone can breed and nothing gets changed about that, professions should all have the tooltip for the passive skill Breed in their /skills, like Potion.

Moralsk

Gold
It should be farmer only breeding. What's been happening during my absence, that's how it was wasn't it?

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
It should be farmer only breeding. What's been happening during my absence, that's how it was wasn't it?
Correct, it seems to actually have changed, not through any suggestion or balance change, but either 1) when some of the plugins were updated or 2) it was an Upper staff change/Suggested change that I cannot find on forums.

@Kainzo Is it intended for everyone to breed?

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9

Hmm... the wiki hasn't had this description for the skill since late Sept 2012.

The description currently says: "You have a [0 to 6] percent chance, depending on your level, of double drops while breeding animals."

As is discussed in the following thread from earlier this year, this indicates that skill provides a benefit as for woodcutting etc - that farmer has a chance of double drops rather than having exclusive access to the mechanism: Bug: Anyone can breed animals not just farmers

I've a feeling that everyone being able to breed has been going on for a long time. I think I recall it being discussed last map too.

As to the intention, not my place to say.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Can confirm that Farmer's leather/meat drops are not any better than non-farmers, with 50 cows slaughtered as parts of 2 data sets (each prof got very similar results both times), as of a month ago.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Other professions do not have the skill Breed, and in the past, that meant that the other professions could not breed.

Suggested change: Only Farmers can breed.

NEEDED fix: If everyone can breed and nothing gets changed about that, professions should all have the tooltip for the passive skill Breed in their /skills, like Potion.
I'm pretty sure Bukkit broke the methods to block breeding. @AmoebaMan care to confirm?

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
I'm pretty sure Bukkit broke the methods to block breeding. @AmoebaMan care to confirm?
Potential Work-Around: Make it so that only Farmer is allowed to hold Wheat in their hotbar. This would make breeding for Leather, the main reason non-famers breed, VERY annoying for non-farmers. And then you do not have to worry with bukkit.
This would not prevent people from crafting bread, nor from making/placing Hay Bales, just from holding Wheat in their hotbar.

AmoebaMan

Gold
There isn't a ticket open about it on the Leaky page, nor do the Spigot forums have a bug reported of this sort. How does the Breeding skill currently prevent breeding - by entity interaction while holding wheat?

agedbear

A frightening Cactus!
hmm... I am and have been unable to breed. When I try, I get an error message "you must be a farmer to do that"

1622338_804205916274669_827314699_o.jpg

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
I have never been able to breed. I haven't tried since I have seen this thread, though.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Non farmers have been able to spam wheat or carrots and get cows and pigs to breed by backing away after spamming like 5+ pairs.

Jasquan

Legacy Supporter 9
Non farmers have been able to spam wheat or carrots and get cows and pigs to breed by backing away after spamming like 5+ pairs.
So you're saying they can glich it, but they can't actually do it. So we just need to figure out how to restrict it, no?

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
The original post was made at a time when several players claimed that non-farmers could breed. If no one is claiming that they can normally breed anymore, then yes the glitch is just a bug report i guess.