• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Environment] Tree's regrowth

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
I've seen a lot of trees, especially just out of PvE spawn, that haven't been cut down properly.
The result -> they won't regrow back into their original state.

I don't know if tree regrowth is turned off here, but I'd like to see it happening.

Else the spree of floating treetops will continue and destroy nature's beauty, because not everyone does fell trees completely or/and doesn't replant saplings either. This also eliminates the chance for other players to get wood.
Most of the time it's the new players that don't care about it, unfortunately. Just out of spawn they cut some blocks of wood out of trees and then leave the area to build.

Example? The eastern plains of PvE spawn are empty and saturated. There's only a few trees left, including floating treetops too. The little forest that comes after a while doesn't look properly deforested either. After I saw that I decided to replant trees and grass for a small area at least, but I'm afraid it won't hold long.

It's bannable to leave the environment in this state, since it's a "mindless destruction of landscape".
But guess what, nobody get's banned/reported for doing that (which I can understand, since it's not really easy to recognize if someone is actually breaking that rule).

I'd therefore suggest to implement tree regrowth, or increase the regrow rate of trees significantly in general on all maps.

Make it irrelevant what parts of a tree have been cut down, enable a regrowth from any block of wood for trees.

If the regrow rate is just incredibly slow (it appears that some trees never regrow again, that's why I wanted to point this out here after all), please do at least slightly increase it.

What do you guys think about it?
Anything to add or to argue?
Flame me below.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I've seen a lot of trees, especially just out of PvE spawn, that haven't been cut down properly.
The result -> they won't regrow back into their original state.

I don't know if tree regrowth is turned off here, but I'd like to see it happening.

Else the spree of floating treetops will continue and destroy nature's beauty, because not everyone does fell trees completely or/and doesn't replant saplings either. This also eliminates the chance for other players to get wood.
Most of the time it's the new players that don't care about it, unfortunately. Just out of spawn they cut some blocks of wood out of trees and then leave the area to build.

Example? The eastern plains of PvE spawn are empty and saturated. There's only a few trees left, including floating treetops too. The little forest that comes after a while doesn't look properly deforested either. After I saw that I decided to replant trees and grass for a small area at least, but I'm afraid it won't hold long.

It's bannable to leave the environment in this state, since it's a "mindless destruction of landscape".
But guess what, nobody get's banned/reported for doing that (which I can understand, since it's not really easy to recognize if someone is actually breaking that rule).

I'd therefore suggest to implement tree regrowth, or increase the regrow rate of trees significantly in general on all maps.

Make it irrelevant what parts of a tree have been cut down, enable a regrowth from any block of wood for trees.

If the regrow rate is just incredibly slow (it appears that some trees never regrow again, that's why I wanted to point this out here after all), please do at least slightly increase it.

What do you guys think about it?
Anything to add or to argue?
Flame me below.
If there's a sapling it should regrow - depending on lag... are you saying that the leaves arent decaying?

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
Check the eastern plains of PvE Kainzo. I haven't seen trees regrowing at all, no matter their condition.
Oh the leaves, yes... appears they dont always completely disappear after removing the stem.

I mean natural regrowing without saplings. The stem should regrow. That would avoid treetops that are left by players who don't give a damn, and don't even replant a sapling!

The regrow based on a sapling works totally fine, but that's not the issue here.

Last edited:

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Maybe im missing a Minecraft feature - but the only thing that can grow is saplings - broken trees wont try and regrow themselves.

However, the growth rate is slower due to lag and leaf-decay may be too slow. I'll check the rates and adjust them accordingly.

Dsawemd

Wiki Team
Legacy Supporter 8
Enforce the No Floating trees rule with a few non-permanent record Suspensions, should help. If we don't care then we don't care. I care though

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
The decay rate for leaves might be slow, but the real problem is Dark Oak. The Dark Oak has so many logs hidden in each tree, that people think they have cut all of it and there is 1-2 logs hidden within the leaves keeping them from decaying. Atleast that is a very common case around my home in PvE.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
It is, however, quite simple to harvest dark oak. Just cut spiral steps up into the tree for 3 or 4 blocks and harvest upwards of every log you can see. I don't think dark oak is difficult to harvest, I think people are just aren't thorough. The complex normal oak trees, however, are difficult to harvest because logs are hidden within the foliage.

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
It is, however, quite simple to harvest dark oak. Just cut spiral steps up into the tree for 3 or 4 blocks and harvest upwards of every log you can see. I don't think dark oak is difficult to harvest, I think people are just aren't thorough. The complex normal oak trees, however, are difficult to harvest because logs are hidden within the foliage.

Yes, but you see, unfortunately it's that thoroughness the most people lack of or just ignore. You know... after all it's "too much work" for them. And after a month theres nothing but dirt left. Mostly the areas around spawn are concerned. The plains and islands far out are mostly still untouched or if inhabited, well treated.