• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Channeled Mana/Stamina regeneration

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Currently there are ZERO channeled spells on Herocraft. For those of you who aren't familiar, a channeled spell is any spell that is casted in a constant wave and breaks only when the caster takes damage/moves a block.

My idea is that skills like energise/replenish/meditate should be channeled spells. They should have a 0 second cooldown and give x% of mana or stamina per second (I'm thinking no less than 15%, would scale off wisdom).

Classes that already have mana/stamina regen spells are perfectly suited for channeling since they have skills that enable them to get in position of channeling. A wizard can blink or entangle and channel. A Druid can entangle and channel. A ninja can backflip/grapple and channel. A disciple can forcepush and channel.

Is channeling even possible? Probably. With the emergence of the skill Rupture I think it can be modified to work for channeling as well. With rupture, if you move a block you take damage. Perhaps it can be modified to know that if you move a block or take damage the channeling ends?

Why do we even need channeling for mana and stamina regeneration? First and foremost, it brings a little bit of flavour into the game. Channeling is such a big part of RPGs and its mad that it doesn't exist in Herocraft yet. It could bring in new and exciting spells for Support classes. As an example, imagine a channelling spell where a Druid is channeling stamina to its Ninja teammate 200 Stamina every second. You'd want to stop that madness before it gets out of hand.

Most importantly, I've seen the cancer that is Mana starving classes trying to level near the edge of the map. With mobs having such high HP you can run out of mana on just 1 mob. If your mana regen had a 0 second cooldown and just requires you to have a little space to make it work, that'll make a lot of difference.

@Delfofthebla I'm looking at you, kid.

malikdanab

Legacy Supporter 8
Skills that could channel:

• Energize
  • Replenish
  • Meditate
  • Dark Ritual
I'm always up for mechanics that change the type of skills there are.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
Channeling abilities do not exist because there is no system for it. I like the idea behind them too, so I have attempted to create a framework for them in the past. However, it was turning out to be a real pain in the ass, and I was worried about performance issues on the server side, so I abandoned it. It's possible to modify some skills to be very hacky forms of channeling abilities, but that has it's own share of issues so I doubt we'll end up doing that either.

Basically, unless Kainzo desires it enough to put a dev or two behind it, you're unlikely to see channeling abilities added to HC.

Dakinara

Legacy Supporter 6
what about food that gives additional mana regen, with the same restrictions as regular food (breaks on damage, cant be used in combat, etc)? I used to think such a thing would be totally pointless but 3k hp mobs are changing my opinion lol.

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
^
Well that is a bit disappointing. Something that 'could' work is being able to toggle the channeling on and off much like an aura, with a 0 second warm-up and cooldown. While the skill is active you are ruptured to the tune of 100HP damage per block you move. To prevent your own stupidity toggling the skill will root you or give you a Slowness V debuff.

This might be as good as channeling gets, and the only problem I can see arise are skills like forcepush or tremor will more or less 1-shot a class that is using replenish...

Maybe not the best idea then? Unless the damage is reduced to 25HP per block and not 100.

Long story short; know your surroundings before restoring mana/stamina.

Delfofthebla

Legacy Supporter 4
Retired Staff
what about food that gives additional mana regen, with the same restrictions as regular food (breaks on damage, cant be used in combat, etc)? I used to think such a thing would be totally pointless but 3k hp mobs are changing my opinion lol.
Need to get Kainzo's opinion on that one. I too would like to see something like that.