• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Becomedeath Needs a Change

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
The fact that I as a Reaver am taking so much more damage from Clerics because of Becomedeath is absurd. This utility skill should not have a gimmicky PvP drawback. I shouldn't have to take it off of my macros to worry about hitting in during a fight, because I can get bursted down by the primary healing class. This tied with the fact that I can't disable it and I have to wait out the 3 minutes or however long it lasts makes this a really inconvenient ability to use a lot of the time. I really hope that this can be changed, because it is silly that this effect is in place.

PS: I really hope that this request doesn't get denied for lore reasons..

thanks,
-moose

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
The fact that I as a Reaver am taking so much more damage from Clerics because of Becomedeath is absurd. This utility skill should not have a gimmicky PvP drawback. I shouldn't have to take it off of my macros to worry about hitting in during a fight, because I can get bursted down by the primary healing class. This tied with the fact that I can't disable it and I have to wait out the 3 minutes or however long it lasts makes this a really inconvenient ability to use a lot of the time. I really hope that this can be changed, because it is silly that this effect is in place.

PS: I really hope that this request doesn't get denied for lore reasons..

thanks,
-moose
Sounds like a simple problem that can easily be fixed. Bind it to a key that is a ways away from your normal key binds and only use it around undead or right before a fight.

Honestly it seems like you're whining about the skill.

An it makes perfect sense why you would take more damage. You take the risk when you use the skill. You also get an immunity to almost everything undead. Meaning if you need to run away from that mean ole' bully cleric, just switch off dread aura and charge into the nearest undead horde. That cleric will be out of mana before you can say "dead."

I don't hink the skill needs a change, I think you need to consider its mechanic before you make posts like this,

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Sounds like a simple problem that can easily be fixed. Bind it to a key that is a ways away from your normal key binds and only use it around undead or right before a fight.

Honestly it seems like you're whining about the skill.

An it makes perfect sense why you would take more damage. You take the risk when you use the skill. You also get an immunity to almost everything undead. Meaning if you need to run away from that mean ole' bully cleric, just switch off dread aura and charge into the nearest undead horde. That cleric will be out of mana before you can say "dead."

I don't hink the skill needs a change, I think you need to consider its mechanic before you make posts like this,
Sounds like a simple problem that can be easily fixed: remove the effect. There is literally no point to having the effect on the ability. It doesn't add anything to the class, doesn't bring counterplay, no strategy involved in it, it's pointless. No shit I'm whining about the skill, it's a dumb mechanic. This ability adds no PvP advantage at all, so why am I being punished for using it while running around? Like I said in the original post, it's gimmicky. Also, I don't really understand "just switch off dread aura and charge into the nearest undead horde" because A) you shouldn't be using dreadaura in a 1v1, and B) why would I run into a group of mobs (which most likely wont be around the areas I'm fighting) against a cleric? All he would do is heal up instead of trying to target me in a swarm of mobs and therefore swing the fight into his favour.

It's a pointless effect.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
They actually made BecomeDeath count as undead for Cleric?
I remember Delf talking about doing that in Bastion, saying it'd be cool but as it stood there just wasn't enough benefits to BecomeDeath to make it worth using.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
They actually made BecomeDeath count as undead for Cleric?
I remember Delf talking about doing that in Bastion, saying it'd be cool but as it stood there just wasn't enough benefits to BecomeDeath to make it worth using.
He had a post about that somewhere yeah.

But I do agree. The fact that becomedeath doesn't have an off button and healers get to do more damage because of it is stupid. If it gave some kind of advantage in PvP sure but it makes clerics and junk face roll DK and Necro if they happened to be using it.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Making the skill toggle would make more sense, to me. When you use the skill, you get the buffs and Debuffs of being undead. I get that if you happen to have it on and a cleric rushes you, that's an issue. So just make it a toggle on/off skill with a minor mana cost.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Making the skill toggle would make more sense, to me. When you use the skill, you get the buffs and Debuffs of being undead. I get that if you happen to have it on and a cleric rushes you, that's an issue. So just make it a toggle on/off skill with a minor mana cost.
The thing is in PvP there is no buff to being undead. How often do zombies and skeletons swarm you she pvping? If ever it's only 1 or 2. Not enough to make BD worth it.

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
The thing is in PvP there is no buff to being undead. How often do zombies and skeletons swarm you she pvping? If ever it's only 1 or 2. Not enough to make BD worth it.
That's why I said make it a toggle skill, or add some sort of PvP applicable reason for become death.

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
That's why I said make it a toggle skill, or add some sort of PvP applicable reason for become death.
That isn't needed.. I'm pretty sure it's easier for someone to remove a line of code than to add a few more for an effect that isn't needed. I'm not sure what dev resources we have atm but it seems limited.

Eldrylars

Legacy Supporter 8
Curious if you thought it could work out by making it a trade off skill
+Fire/Holy Damage -Cold/Dark

Taking additional Fire and Holy damage while taking reduced Cold and Dark damage.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Curious if you thought it could work out by making it a trade off skill
+Fire/Holy Damage -Cold/Dark

Taking additional Fire and Holy damage while taking reduced Cold and Dark damage.
Problem with dark is DK and Necro are really the only 2 with them. Cold is a few skills so it'd be cool, but fire and light are far more common. Fireball on all the casters, pyromancer, clerics skills.

It's a cool idea that I think could be worked, but for now I think it'd be better if we just removed the extra damage from smite and wrath vs becomedeath.

Last edited:

STDs4YouAnd4Me

Legacy Supporter 8
Problem with dark is DK and Necro are really the only 2 with them. Cold is a few skills so it'd be cool, but fire and light are far more common. Fireball on all the casters, pyromancer, clerics skills.

It's a cool idea that I think could be worked, but for now I think it'd be better if we just removed the extra damage from smite and wrath.

Removing extra damage to undead on Smite or wrath would be a nerf to healers solo leveling. Would match rather see, as PewPew stated, the skill to be removed altogether.

Although I'll agree with everyone else; if you're worried you'll accidentally use the skill, and hate the skill anyway, then just unbind it.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Removing extra damage to undead on Smite or wrath would be a nerf to healers solo leveling. Would match rather see, as PewPew stated, the skill to be removed altogether.

Although I'll agree with everyone else; if you're worried you'll accidentally use the skill, and hate the skill anyway, then just unbind it.
I just meant with the becomedeath skill not from those skills in general, I'll word that better.

Last edited:

LightTheAbsol

Legacy Supporter 3
Make it a toggle. The advantage in PvP it holds is being able to run around underwater for as long as you want, but gills has that as well. The extra damage makes logical sense, if you're undead, cleric skills would do more damage. Power to the clerics.

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
Make it a toggle. The advantage in PvP it holds is being able to run around underwater for as long as you want, but gills has that as well. The extra damage makes logical sense, if you're undead, cleric skills would do more damage. Power to the clerics.
gills does the same thing with no PvP downside. It's silly, it should be removed

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
gills does the same thing with no PvP downside. It's silly, it should be removed
But at the same time, gills isn't sitting on a massive DPS class that can effectively fight underwater. Necromancer underwater is like instant death to anyone, but the downside is there for a reason. You're undead, so you get immunity to mobs, and you can breath underwater. As a necro, breathing underwater in PvP far outweighs the occasional cleric bursting you down. Every class is meant to have a weakness, and DK is already in a good spot. So so what if you made a bad move and got burst end down by a cleric, move on. You're one of the strongest tanks on the server, you'll recover. And most necros can stay far enough off that a cleric isn't going to land much of those skills.
It's all implemented, and it makes sense. You get a good addition of assets with the drawbacks. You'll just have to accept it for what it is and fight smarter when you have become death on.

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
But at the same time, gills isn't sitting on a massive DPS class that can effectively fight underwater. Necromancer underwater is like instant death to anyone, but the downside is there for a reason. You're undead, so you get immunity to mobs, and you can breath underwater. As a necro, breathing underwater in PvP far outweighs the occasional cleric bursting you down. Every class is meant to have a weakness, and DK is already in a good spot. So so what if you made a bad move and got burst end down by a cleric, move on. You're one of the strongest tanks on the server, you'll recover. And most necros can stay far enough off that a cleric isn't going to land much of those skills.
It's all implemented, and it makes sense. You get a good addition of assets with the drawbacks. You'll just have to accept it for what it is and fight smarter when you have become death on.
Gills isn't sitting on a massive DPS class that can effectively fight underwater... Hmm, whats the strongest water fighting class? Oh right, RANGER. The class that has gills. Your argument doesn't make any sense, you're saying that because certain classes thrive in certain environments they should be punished for it. Necro thrives underwater because it's strong when nobody can reach it, that is a basic fact, there doesn't need to be any cheesy downsides to it. I can't believe that you legitmately think that this should be one of the downsides of DK. The class already suffers enough from a lot of things, and while it does have a lot of damage and is fairly tanky it is also easily countered.
It's not become death that needs to be fixed, it's cleric.
? I don't see where you're coming from with this, it is not a fault with cleric, it has this mechanic so it isn't a pain in the ass to level it, it's a problem with becomedeath.

PS: DPS = damage per second, classes like necro and ranger are very strong dps classes because they can output consistently high damage, but not much burst (you could make the argument of burst for ranger but I think you know what I'm getting at)

iAlchemist

Legacy Supporter 3
Gills isn't sitting on a massive DPS class that can effectively fight underwater... Hmm, whats the strongest water fighting class? Oh right, RANGER. The class that has gills. Your argument doesn't make any sense, you're saying that because certain classes thrive in certain environments they should be punished for it. Necro thrives underwater because it's strong when nobody can reach it, that is a basic fact, there doesn't need to be any cheesy downsides to it. I can't believe that you legitmately think that this should be one of the downsides of DK. The class already suffers enough from a lot of things, and while it does have a lot of damage and is fairly tanky it is also easily countered.

? I don't see where you're coming from with this, it is not a fault with cleric, it has this mechanic so it isn't a pain in the ass to level it, it's a problem with becomedeath.

PS: DPS = damage per second, classes like necro and ranger are very strong dps classes because they can output consistently high damage, but not much burst (you could make the argument of burst for ranger but I think you know what I'm getting at)
Haha, try shooting arrows underwater.

But other than thst, I can see where you're coming from. The thing is DK is actually doing pretty good on the meta. If it gets crushed by a cleric, so be it. Cleric would usually win anyways, if then cleric can kite.