• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion [Badges] Class Badge "Achievements"?

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
Greetings Herocraft

Looking at the worthless class badge in my "crap chest", another idea came to my mind.

So far badges as in "Badge of <class>", have neither a value nor any use to them, except for giving the player achieving one, the information that he basically just mastered a <class> by putting an useless item into his inventory. But that's it.

I don't know what the staff is planning to do with them sooner or later.
And of course this is another low priority subject just as my suggestion is going to be.
But anyway, I really wanted to at least post it here, so you guys could tell me what you as players would think about it.

I'm going to explain you what I mean by that, what would be required and what I think is good about it and what not, all below.

___________________________________________________________________________________
So first of all, it is known that the "badge" itself is physically (in the game) aquired after mastering <class>, as a simple worthless object. You can put it into a chest and leave it there to rot or you can discard it.

My thought was to implement a logical badge system, which is connected with/integrated into the account system.
The key suggestion/idea is therefore to add an achievement system that features the information of having any <class> mastered and that until "complete account deletion", that should add a sense to the class badges and should no longer require players to keep those badges in a chest or elsewhere.

___________________________________________________________________________________​

What do I mean by that? There are two methods this idea could be realized:

1. The "manual" way

Everytime you acquire a badge by mastering a class, you get the badge as an item like before, but you'll be immediately able to register this badge to your account as "achievement". The player has to do the registration by him-/herself. After registering/applying the badge into the account, the badge as item will disappear.

2. The "automatic" way

Everytime you master any class, the information of having a class just mastered, is directly and automatically being transferred into your Herocraft account as "achievement", without further need of a player registering his <class> badge in game. The class badges could therefore also be taken out of the game.
___________________________________________________________________________________​

What exactly is being "registered"/"transferred" and what will be the result?

The information of being a master of any class will be transferred into your account profile, and appear either as badge symbols for the different classes next to your name (like "medals" do in a random webforums) , or, as a text somewhere in your profile information. It could also be possible to add class achievements to the trophy points list of the forums, since it actually already is an achievement list, with the difference that the most achievements/trophies are only acquired in the forums (except for special Herocraft "seniority" trophies like being a member for 3 years). It depends on the staff (if they are going to do this at all), how the information will be transferred and of course also to what destination and in what result.

Required for the player will be, of course, reaching the maximum lvl of any class(es) desired.
For method 1: Player must receive a class badge when mastering a class. When holding the <class> badge in your hands, use the command /register badge, to transfer the information into your Herocraft account.
For method 2: Player just has to master any class, the information will be transferred automatically.

That sounds like a lot of work. What will be required to make all this happen?

It definitely is a lot of work, which is why I mentioned it being a low priority subject in the introduction of this thread.
It's something the staff should only do to "refine" the server.

To realize this idea though, I thought about the following possibilities:
1. Create a /register badge command, which automatically recognizes the badge held, and sends the information to the player's account (I thought about a similar server->account connection like the /register email command has). If not, create a command called /register badge <class>.

2. To automate the process it would be required to go deeper into the matter. I can't explain how to do it since I have no experience on this field of IT studies, but the thought remains simple. Make the server gather the information from each player's account by itself. To do this the player must be online. The server will read the player account's data and transfer the class information into the logical profile. There it will be recoded into a simple text or symbol/badge, that will in the end appear in the player's profile.

3. Badges acquired by players must not be able to be stolen/taken from other players (maybe by just not allowing it to be put into a chest at all and if the player dies, the badge does not drop, until it has been registered).

4. It would be required to write text scripts or create badges as in symbols/icons/medals for each class to appear in the forum player profile and maybe for an in game profile too (read about that on the part below).
___________________________________________________________________________________

Is that all or are there other possible features coming with this?

1. It could also be possible, according to all this above, to implement an in game profile that could be opened by using the /hero whois <player>. It is known that the commands /hero who <class>/<profession> exist and work perfectly in their own way, but only in the world you are using it. Therefore the /hero whois <player> command could show a players "in game", no matter in which world the player is, as in: Current class & profession + levels, current world, classes & professions mastered, member since xx, supporter tier.
This kind of transparency would be legit and acceptable, since the information shown would be also acquirable if you use /who in a world or search for any <class>/<profession> available in your world (which the commands /hero who <class>/<profession> do). But of course this feature alone comes with additional requirements (like enabling a cross world command) and pros & cons again, so I hardly doubt that all of this is going to be realized anyway.

2. If desired, the same badge system could be created for mastering professions (profession master achievements).

The Conclusion

The fact that there is currently no use for the class badges makes one question their necessity. At the one side there are things you could do with them, at the other side they aren't required in any way for anything, if you really think about it. So again, it was just a suggestion for the case, that there is going to be an additional feature according to class badges in the future. If not, you may just take them out of the game, since otherwise they would be nothing but pointless, which is my opinion. After all I just wanted to point out some possible ideas for class badges, since I'm sure that nobody else would've done that, so please do respect this.

Pro:
- Lists up all classes mastered for each player in public
- Players no longer need to store their class badges
- Achievement(s) that would remain as official profile information until account deletion/forever

Con:
- It would be required to extract the information of players that have mastered a class, but don't have their badges anymore or have mastered their class before implementation of this feature, directly out of the game and that for each player.
- In a matter of server condition, this might be an unnecessary lag source.
- It's a damn lot of work for something that is just supposed to be a fancy feature and has therefore low chances to be ever realized.

Did I miss something?
Is there something you don't understand here?
Feedback and questions below.
I know the community, so I don't expect mercy, as long as you behave.

Last edited:

Jonsoon

Legacy Supporter 8
Only skimmed through this (will come back to it later), but this sounds like a system that was once planned where you could look up any player via the website and it would tell you various info on the player such as classes, attributes, armor, tools, maybe achievements was in there as well.

I have no idea if this is still planned, but it would be great to see.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Be patient with me on this idea but maybe the badge could act as a relic 5 for that class.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
You mean once mastered a class you receive a V-relic for the class mastered?
I mean the badge you get for mastering can be combined with relics 1-4 of that same class to make a codex. So the badge itself is the relic 5 if you choose to use it that way

Eneokun

Max Legacy Supporter
I mean the badge you get for mastering can be combined with relics 1-4 of that same class to make a codex. So the badge itself is the relic 5 if you choose to use it that way

I see. I doubt that people would agree to this, since "free items". If you ask me personally, I would agree to this.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
Just an idea. It would give more incentive to mastering a class, and provide a use for seemingly meaningless badges

Clawscript

Obsidian
The idea is good, but some players would just care about something material they get instead of a title. So, there could be a way of trading in the badge in central to get a "class mastery item" which could be pretty much anything relevant to the class/profession mastered.
(I.e.: Master Berserkers get an awesome sword, Master Alchemists get a cauldron and brewer which double-craft potions and items, etc.)
Just a few examples out of the blue, but the concept is what matters.