• Guest, we are doing a new map (refresh) for Herocraft. Gather your friends and get ready! Coming next Friday, 06/28/24 @ 7PM CT play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion An Alternative to Speccing Into a Class

PewPewPewLasers

PewPew
Legacy Supporter 5
I had this idea at the TS meeting and those who saw it thought it was a pretty good idea, so I am deciding to put this here.

We all know leveling in Herocraft is a bitch, especially to new players. They see these cool videos of a wizard teleporting around, bolting people and shooting fireballs, only to be met with lostsoul; some squishy class with little damage. That doesn't really show off to new players how fun and exciting classes can be, and it very repelling. When I was still a noob back in Zeal, getting level 50 lostsoul and speccing into Bard was god awful. Same thing on DG, Bastion, Haven and Aegis. Nobody likes lostsoul, so why is it here? Why are we forced to level it up? I have an alternative.

When a new player is selecting a class, they would be in a room surrounded by NPCs, each one having a name like "Wizard Trainer" or "Dreadknight Trainer" etc... When you are a level 1 lostsoul, you need to speak to one of these trainers to become a class. You need to do a quest to show them you are worthy of their training, the actual quests themselves I don't know yet. After doing this quest, you then take the path of X class. Once you hit level 30 of your class, you cannot level up anymore until you revisit your class trainer. Upon visiting your trainer, you find out that in order to continue your training, you need to obtain a tomb which can only be purchased from the DHX, for whatever amount of money speccing a class is. After you buy this tomb, you are free to level to 65.

Basically, this adds a little bit of flavour to choosing and leveling a class, and still keeps the cost of speccing without the pain of lostsoul.

Please leave feedback, positive and negative.

-Pew

j2gay

Legacy Supporter 6
What I have suggested in the past is a class tree. Lvl the initial class to like 5 to get a feel for the server then choose a path. The first class on the path has base spells but isn't very strong. Once mastered you select from one of 2-4 specialized classes along that path, each with their r own strengths and weaknesses. Each of these could then have yet another 2-4 classes to pick from adding to the class. You could for instance for wizzard start with a caster path and then select between an all attack or half attack half heal path. Then for each you could chose at the next level to either get more powerful spells, or to use armor and weapons. There would always be a trade off so like a wizard that could wear iron armor and use iron swords with a decent melee ability would forgo the 2-3 most powerful spells.

Such a system would be tricky to balance but it would also add many layers off interest.