• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Spelunky (Indie title on PC and XBLA)

I have been looking for a old-school platforming game with punishing difficulty, and I believe I found it. This game tosses aside the usual hand-holding granted by many games of the modern age (aside from a few, first example is Dark Souls) and instead focuses on putting the player through an unpredictable, randomly generated hell that punishes death with an instant restart from square one. (aside from shortcuts, which take some work to unlock)

As Spelunky is randomly generated, success is dependent on forward thinking and not rushing in like Leeroy Jenkins or a twitchy CoD addict. Is stealing a jetpack really worth the hassle of dealing with an elderly man with a shotgun for the rest of the game? Should I bomb a detour instead of risking instant death by a tiki trap? Should I look before I leap, lest I jump down the throat of a man-eating plant? The game's length is about 20 minutes roughly. Making it that long... well, prepare to accumulate a death count in the hundreds. (Did I mention this game tracks deaths?) This game is hit or miss, depending entirely upon the skill and mindset of the player.

The XBLA version is superior as of now and has slightly altered mechanics, new secret levels and characters, not to mention co-op multiplayer. However, the pc version is free and sports a healthy dose of mods. Check it out at: http://spelunkyworld.com/