• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Leveling balance issue

Joolsov

Coal
Hey folks. I want to talk about leveling balance. I have played many MMOs or games where balance was important.

So, here is my some thoughts about solo leveling difficulty comparison of Herocraft classes (from easiest):

(Before reading take a note that im leveling a ranger, but with 3 friends: caster, healer and warrior. So i know their leveling views and pains, mostly warrior's, or mine before tier2).

Casters, tier 1/tier 2
Facts:
- fireball that 2-hit mobs at lvl 1, 10 mp, gives 2 exp on cast (even if not hiting anything),
- medium downtime (mana regen)
Summary:
- very easy leveling, or i would say auto-exp class
- capability to take every mob without harm,

Healers, tier 1,tier 2:
Facts:
- low melee dmg,
- range dmg spell on 10s cd at lvl 1,
- medium downtime (mana regen)
- heals which gives 2 exp everyuse (but on effective use, contrary to fireball),
Summary:
- medicore leveling, progressive,
- disci spec makes it more easier,

Rangers:
Facts:
- very high range dmg (2 hiting mobs),
- has to use ammo, but its infinite (chicken farm, later summon arrow),
- almost zero downtime,
- no skills gives exp,
Summary:
- fastest leveling in game,
- farming machine,

Rogues, tier 1,tier 2 (melees):
Facts:
- high melee dmg,
- first dps skill at lvl 15,
- high downtime (high lose of hp, long hp regen),
- no skills gives exp,
Summary:
- painful slow leveling,
- cannot kill creepers (i know: charge -> 2 hit -> back -> repeat, but with server or distance lag its hard),
- lack of defense against mobs before tier 2 (leather is hard to farm and breaks after few mobs),

Warriors, tier 1,tier 2:
Facts:
- low melee dps,
- no or very weak dps abilities,
- huge downtime,
- no skills gives exp,
Summary:
- most painful and slowest leveling,
- cannot kill creepers,
- weak defense against mobs before tier 2 (leather is hard to farm and breaks after few mobs),

In summary i wanted to point that there is huge imbalance in leveling difficulty within some classes, like comparison of Caster and Warrior leveling.

I have some questions about things that i cannot understand:
- Why caster's fireball gives 2 exp? the only fact that casters has fireball that 2-hit evermob, and its available at lvl 1 makes leveling easy, so why points giving it 2 exp?
- Why then fireball gives experience if not dealing dmg? Its opening abusing, like automacroing (i know that its illegal, ofc its), but even standing in the base and spaming fireballs on the wall gives exp.
- Why warriors dosnt have any leveling tool, like dps ability at low levels? Even at tier 2 there is no single dps ability before high lvl. They even lose theirs only dps skill (bleed) at tier 2...

I dont know, maybe thats intended to make some class leveling easy, and some hard. To balance class quantity.

I dont want to nerf or buff some classes, because like i said, maybe there is purpose on that. I believe and i know that Herocraft's Staff is competitive and everything has its reason.
Just wanted to talk about that.

Edit: And no, Mob Arenas wont fix it. Its solo leveling thread.

Joolsov

Coal
Caster's fireball used to give 2 xp - it doesnt any longer.
You mean it doesnt give any longer since last patch (3.20, which isnt showing as official patch on main site), or previous patch 3.15, or after my post?
(Fireball was giving 2 exp recently, days ago - as my friend, caster, told me that).
Anything with range farms mobs easymode. That is just how minecraft works atm.
True, but this is because mobs (zombies, spiders) hits too much in melee, and melees doesnt have dps skills or have weak ones. And caster has his dps skill at lvl 1. This isnt Minecraft mechanics issue. Thats implementation of mods.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
It's a minecraft thing, range has an easier time leveling because the mobs don't have a method to close the gap quickly (yet)
The fireball skill ramps up damage per level - it used to do a base of 15 at start, now it is doing less. (10) for the caster path

Joolsov

Coal
It's a minecraft thing, range has an easier time leveling because the mobs don't have a method to close the gap quickly (yet)
Did you even try to go melee with zombie or spider as warrior or rogue at lvl 1? Mobs just hit like a trucks. Thats not minecraft thing since you can adjust mob's dmg, gap closer its not needed for melees. Its not range mobs problems, actually skeletons are quite easy for melees (oposite for range classes).
The fireball skill ramps up damage per level - it used to do a base of 15 at start, now it is doing less. (10) for the caster path
Sounds like good balance changes.