• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion When two township super-regions collide...

SoHighFive

Soulsand
I've been studying the townships 3.0 like a madman for the past month, and I've thought of quite a few interesting situations that can result from it. For this discussion we are going to focus on the possibilities of what happens when a town SR (super region) encounters another town's SR.

Because of the massive SR size of metropolis, it is likely that it could envelop another town's SR. If town A "Grower" upgrades its SR to a metropolis and hits town B "Tiny", then what happens? I have a few suggestions below.

1) Devour it- It used to be the case that the larger town "Grower" would essentially take over the smaller town "Tiny". I don't like the idea of this because it would feel horrible having your town taken away like that.

2) Surround it- "Tiny's" SR is completely surrounded by "Grower", and it can't expand any further. I think that this would be a really fun way to handle this. "Grower" could offer to buy "Tiny", or "Tiny" could hold out and hang on to its territory.

I have another question. Should this be prevented? @WitchOnaRampage suggested that this situation could be prevented by not allowing a town to build within 325 blocks of another town. This would mean that both towns could grow to a metropolis, and they wouldn't ever be able to collide.

The issue that I see with this is that it makes the initial land grab on the server WAY too important. You throw a town SR up, and that entire biome and area is locked in for our town. It could also greatly limit the number of towns that can fit on the map.

What are everybody's thoughts and concerns? If you could control the outcome of this situation, then how would you like to see it play out? Should it be prevented altogether? If so, what are other ways to handle it.

@Alator @Kainzo @Teslanut @Beau_Nearh @Watermelon_01 @ShadowRavynn

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
The way it stands now:

Town A upgrades to a encompas Town B.
All members of Town B are either grandfathered into town A or given ample time to retrieve their items and move shop.

Due to the mass amount of money that goes into townships, I do think a change is in order.
Be it a certain distance between them or some kind of payout to the enveloped town.

The issues I see with having a town inside a town (Not mentioning if that's even possible) is that you'd have to give the 2nd town block perms in the first so they could get out of their own town.

SoHighFive

Soulsand
The way it stands now:

Town A upgrades to a encompas Town B.
All members of Town B are either grandfathered into town A or given ample time to retrieve their items and move shop.

Due to the mass amount of money that goes into townships, I do think a change is in order.
Be it a certain distance between them or some kind of payout to the enveloped town.

The issues I see with having a town inside a town (Not mentioning if that's even possible) is that you'd have to give the 2nd town block perms in the first so they could get out of their own town.

My thoughts for the small town contained inside the larger is that the larger town would not have perms in the smaller town's DR. "Tiny" would have its own island SR that "Grower" could not touch.

The problem as it stands is that a group with lots IF souls could move in and essentially take over "Tiny" if they didn't like them.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
My thoughts for the small town contained inside the larger is that the larger town would not have perms in the smaller town's DR. "Tiny" would have its own island SR that "Grower" could not touch.

The problem as it stands is that a group with lots IF souls could move in and essentially take over "Tiny" if they didn't like them.
How would Tiny get out? They would be inside Growers SR and wouldn't be able to build

devotedworker

Retired Staff
Max Legacy Supporter
I've been studying the townships 3.0 like a madman for the past month, and I've thought of quite a few interesting situations that can result from it. For this discussion we are going to focus on the possibilities of what happens when a town SR (super region) encounters another town's SR.

Because of the massive SR size of metropolis, it is likely that it could envelop another town's SR. If town A "Grower" upgrades its SR to a metropolis and hits town B "Tiny", then what happens? I have a few suggestions below.

1) Devour it- It used to be the case that the larger town "Grower" would essentially take over the smaller town "Tiny". I don't like the idea of this because it would feel horrible having your town taken away like that.

2) Surround it- "Tiny's" SR is completely surrounded by "Grower", and it can't expand any further. I think that this would be a really fun way to handle this. "Grower" could offer to buy "Tiny", or "Tiny" could hold out and hang on to its territory.

I have another question. Should this be prevented? @WitchOnaRampage suggested that this situation could be prevented by not allowing a town to build within 325 blocks of another town. This would mean that both towns could grow to a metropolis, and they wouldn't ever be able to collide.

The issue that I see with this is that it makes the initial land grab on the server WAY too important. You throw a town SR up, and that entire biome and area is locked in for our town. It could also greatly limit the number of towns that can fit on the map.

What are everybody's thoughts and concerns? If you could control the outcome of this situation, then how would you like to see it play out? Should it be prevented altogether? If so, what are other ways to handle it.

@Alator @Kainzo @Teslanut @Beau_Nearh @Watermelon_01 @ShadowRavynn
Currently its nearly impossible for this to happen as

Towns Can Expand in all directions as long as the Old Region is contained by the new one

Towns CAN NOT overlap or they will experiance severe glitches and neither town will be-able to access the overlap area

Towns can't be close together already, due to the 100 Distance rule ( No buildings/Structures can be within 100 Blocks of a town )

SoHighFive

Soulsand
Currently its nearly impossible for this to happen as

Towns Can Expand in all directions as long as the Old Region is contained by the new one

Towns CAN NOT overlap or they will experiance severe glitches and neither town will be-able to access the overlap area

Towns can't be close together already, due to the 100 Distance rule ( No buildings/Structures can be within 100 Blocks of a town )

Towns CAN expand in all directions, but what if they want the same area and both continue to expand towards it.

If you start a tribe 150 blocks away from another tribe, then both towns will be nearly touching if they expand to hamlet hen village.

SoHighFive

Soulsand
How would Tiny get out? They would be inside Growers SR and wouldn't be able to build

This just means that they can't expand. Look at Switzerland. They are a very small nation surrounded by other nations. If they get tired of it then they can sell the town off to "Grower", who would love to have full access to their SR.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
This just means that they can't expand. Look at Switzerland. They are a very small nation surrounded by other nations. If they get tired of it then they can sell the town off to "Grower", who would love to have full access to their SR.
But HOW WOULD they get out of THEIR OWN TOWN?

Beau_Nearh

Portal
Thoughts;

I think I see the point your making. So if a larger town were to engulf the smaller town. Both towns would stay active but;

+a member from the larger town can't interact with the smaller town, vies versa
+the smaller town can no longer grow/ expand while the larger town can't take over as of yet
+the smaller town would act as a 'shanty' of sorts of the larger town leeching off the bigger town while staying very hostile (or even an embassy? New region coming up? *wink wink*)

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

My opinion of this being a mechanic is quite all over the place. On one hand I could really see this leading to weird, funny situations while on the other. I could see this becoming a hindrance to the larger town who has spent a lot more time and resources to get to the point where upgrading is viable. Should it be a thing with the current townships state? No. Should this be a thing once a lot more kinks have been ironed out, possibly yes.

For the concerns regarding the land grabs;

Honestly you're really over thinking it, there may be plenty of towns created but I gaurente a lot of them won't stay active or last long enough to the point in which were struggling for space (think the rise and fall of Victoria). Plus a lot of towns have decided to stay at the village/ town tier.

Hope this helps.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
Plus a lot of towns have decided to stay at the village/ town tier.
This. Going past Tier 3 just gets harder and harder. It requires tons of active players (Or a few dedicated players and some trade routes) to meet the citizen threshold and the daily taxes. Not to mention managing all those sub-regions :confused:

Beau_Nearh

Portal
This. Going past Tier 3 just gets harder and harder. It requires tons of active players (Or a few dedicated players and some trade routes) to meet the citizen threshold and the daily taxes. Not to mention managing all those sub-regions :confused:

The only problem I see with the higher tiers are;

+You need at least 75% of your cit count to be fairly active
+Farmers farmers farmers, make sure to stock up on them if possible(I've got 3 active ones)
+as you said, soul trades are vital
+make sure to get those dragon eggs to reduce town tax

But it always comes down to personal preference and what you're expecting to make. Because I know at my current tier town, I can profit 2050 souls per day if I were to max out all my possible regions. Keep in mind this is very manageable as the only regions requiring my attention would be; soul items, manors/ chalets.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
The only problem I see with the higher tiers are;

+You need at least 75% of your cit count to be fairly active
+Farmers farmers farmers, make sure to stock up on them if possible(I've got 3 active ones)
+as you said, soul trades are vital
+make sure to get those dragon eggs to reduce town tax

But it always comes down to personal preference and what you're expecting to make. Because I know at my current tier town, I can profit 2050 souls per day if I were to max out all my possible regions. Keep in mind this is very manageable as the only regions requiring my attention would be; soul items, manors/ chalets.
Well true, I net in 1.2k a day range with no active town members (My town has died :( Keeping the region alive to protect ma stuffs :p) so I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to keep a decent money flow.

On topic: I don't really see this being an issue now that I think about it. Most towns are spread out as it is, and even then, most are tier 1 or 2. I plan on making a village for me and a few friends eventually, why should someone be able to eat my region? Even if the region stays I'm now landlocked like switzerland, surrounded by foes on all sides.

Teslanut

TNT
I'd be more concerned about Indar style breakage. Admins are saying the reason nothing works in Indar, and we mean nothing, no money from housing no food from farms, no gold from gold mines, is because there is a personal region inside the super region. I'd be more worried about having to then pay a 4K/Day tax with no income rather than how it would work mechanically.

SoHighFive

Soulsand
Thoughts;

I think I see the point your making. So if a larger town were to engulf the smaller town. Both towns would stay active but;

+a member from the larger town can't interact with the smaller town, vies versa
+the smaller town can no longer grow/ expand while the larger town can't take over as of yet
+the smaller town would act as a 'shanty' of sorts of the larger town leeching off the bigger town while staying very hostile (or even an embassy? New region coming up? *wink wink*)

Honestly you're really over thinking it, there may be plenty of towns created but I gaurente a lot of them won't stay active or last long enough to the point in which were struggling for space (think the rise and fall of Victoria). Plus a lot of towns have decided to stay at the village/ town tier.

Hope this helps.

You're pretty much correct. The smaller town can't grow/expand, but the larger town can't take over that section of his SR. The smaller town can do whatever it wants in its region. I guess the one potential problem with this would be if the larger town built a dome around the smaller town so that they literally can't escape.

Additionally we should be basing the suggestions and thoughts off of Townships 3.0 working correctly. This means that hopefully towns won't crumble left and right. This also means that we hopefully won't have Indar-style bugs.

Perhaps I should begin posts like this with "Assuming Townships is working correctly"...

Beau_Nearh

Portal
I'd be more concerned about Indar style breakage. Admins are saying the reason nothing works in Indar, and we mean nothing, no money from housing no food from farms, no gold from gold mines, is because there is a personal region inside the super region. I'd be more worried about having to then pay a 4K/Day tax with no income rather than how it would work mechanically.

I have a personal region within my township and nothing has bugged out on me?

Beau_Nearh

Portal
You're pretty much correct. The smaller town can't grow/expand, but the larger town can't take over that section of his SR. The smaller town can do whatever it wants in its region. I guess the one potential problem with this would be if the larger town built a dome around the smaller town so that they literally can't escape.

Additionally we should be basing the suggestions and thoughts off of Townships 3.0 working correctly. This means that hopefully towns won't crumble left and right. This also means that we hopefully won't have Indar-style bugs.

Perhaps I should begin posts like this with "Assuming Townships is working correctly"...

The first thing I thought of was an actual dome to house them or contain them haha, anyway. I could really see this being abused to an extent (smaller towns abusing the bigger ones) so if this were to be added. I would like to see a region that the larger town can create to actually destroy/ drain the smaller towns power.

LordZelkova

Ashen One...
Legacy Supporter 8
The first thing I thought of was an actual dome to house them or contain them haha, anyway. I could really see this being abused to an extent (smaller towns abusing the bigger ones) so if this were to be added. I would like to see a region that the larger town can create to actually destroy/ drain the smaller towns power.
I still think the old system is the best bet without changing the rule entirely (Though I think the smaller town should have to be paid something for their town).

The system I want to see is just set a limit between towns (250 or whatever was mentioned earlier).

Well looks like my vault has been compromised, I did create the 'shelter' region before the actual town construction if this helps. I didn't realise this wasn't suppose to happen.
That's probably the reason. You shouldnt be able to make a PR in a town due to being "too close"
However it make sense that you could make the PR first then make the town, which would then overlap the PR.
But you aren't supposed to be able to make PR's inside towns (Look at indur, lots of issues there)