• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Steps to Drastically Increase Map Life

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Here's the step we're taking to make sure the map life doesn't die off a few weeks (months) after release.
  • Gap shortener -- shorter stat-gap between level 1 and max level to encourage leveled playing fields.
  • Active market with a thriving centralized trade-district with ports to both north / south cont.
  • Tier 2 classes (upgrades from Tier 1 (100 attributes at start) - Tier 2 has 110 attributes with same skill setups)
  • Rare / hard to find custom items that boost your character to encourage grouping / playing.
  • War / Peace zones in PVP-OFF areas to encourage players to play outside of their normal sphere of gameplay.
  • Constant bi-weekly or monthly updates to rejuvenate and bring the community closer.

Irishman81

Senior Staff
Guide
Architect
Balance Team
Legacy Supporter 7
I know this probably isn't the highest on the priority list, but playing the same classes map after map can get very boring. I think adding new classes with unique skills would be a step in the right direction.

TheTMTrainer

Soulsand
I highly advise you add some method of respawning finite valuables, such as ores. Dungeons are being added, why not add mines that respawn ore based on the value of ore (After 20 minutes, the iron ore in the mine respawn, after 12 hours, the diamond in the same mine respawn) so that they are a continuous hotspot of contested activity (these would be PvP only ofc). These mines could also be protected so people don't destroy the mine and make their base on it, this could also be a good place to add 0-exp spawners, ect ect.

Nimplip

Stone
I like what you mentioned with the tier 2 classes. Why not also have prestige classes? If someone masters say: Wizard, and Samurai they could choose to prestige into Bladesinger.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
I like what you mentioned with the tier 2 classes. Why not also have prestige classes? If someone masters say: Wizard, and Samurai they could choose to prestige into Bladesinger.
This is basically a balance nightmare - is pretty much the only reason. Though I love the concept
Maybe make some sort of class progression? Like evolution maybe?
^
I highly advise you add some method of respawning finite valuables, such as ores. Dungeons are being added, why not add mines that respawn ore based on the value of ore (After 20 minutes, the iron ore in the mine respawn, after 12 hours, the diamond in the same mine respawn) so that they are a continuous hotspot of contested activity (these would be PvP only ofc). These mines could also be protected so people don't destroy the mine and make their base on it, this could also be a good place to add 0-exp spawners, ect ect.
While this is a high priority - it has to be done in an almost automatic way. I'm up for suggestions on this.
I know this probably isn't the highest on the priority list, but playing the same classes map after map can get very boring. I think adding new classes with unique skills would be a step in the right direction.
It's important - but not possible to continually come up with new and improved ideas after 4 years. I think we should focus on the classes already in and make them proper.

The Soul Wielder will be making an appearance in the next 1 - 3 months.

Jrr_

Architect
Balance Team
Adventure Team
Legacy Supporter 3
@Kainzo I agree with Irishman, Over time it is becoming quiet repetitive playing the same classes. We thank the coders for all they do but new classes over time are needed. It adds new gameplay which is what is needed along with the idea's mentioned above.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
@Kainzo I agree with Irishman, Over time it is becoming quiet repetitive playing the same classes. We thank the coders for all they do but new classes over time are needed. It adds new gameplay which is what is needed along with the idea's mentioned above.
Start learning java

Mischevity

Legacy Supporter 8
I'd recommend adding the ability to combine 2 skills into one more powerful skill, like a combo, for example, with dragoons jump+Tremor it makes the skill GroundPound which does (blah blah damage stuff here)

Watermelon_01

Legacy Supporter 2
This is basically a balance nightmare - is pretty much the only reason. Though I love the concept
I think you are thinking about making more OP classes for the 'evolutions'. That's not what I mean. I mean maybe more powerful but rather with different unique skills and such. The balance will be alright, just that its' more of a social show-off and a way to let players play with a skills set and build that works better for them as a player.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
More events. As an event team member myself, i know it is our job to suggest or propose more events, so here it is. Dosent have to be big or. " official" events, can just be a small event like a DoD, Server Trivias ingame, riddles, find the item, defend an area, etc..And don't just make it only for weekends, but also during the weekdays. Dosent have to be planned when it should happen, just do it when someone who can( most likely an admin ) has free time. This is probably the easiest method to bring and encourage player activity.

I'm on an ipad which still has the laggy forum background for me, so my bad for any grammar mistakes.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
More events. As an event team member myself, i know it is our job to suggest or propose more events, so here it is. Dosent have to be big or. " official" events, can just be a small event like a DoD, Server Trivias ingame, riddles, find the item, defend an area, etc..And don't just make it only for weekends, but also during the weekdays. Dosent have to be planned when it should happen, just do it when someone who can( most likely an admin ) has free time. This is probably the easiest method to bring and encourage player activity.

I'm on an ipad which still has the laggy forum background for me, so my bad for any grammar mistakes.
try to change templates --- i allowed a blank white background for those who want to use defaults.. ill keep it open for a bit.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Here's the step we're taking to make sure the map life doesn't die off a few weeks (months) after release.
  • Gap shortener -- shorter stat-gap between level 1 and max level to encourage leveled playing fields.
  • Active market with a thriving centralized trade-district with ports to both north / south cont.
  • Tier 2 classes (upgrades from Tier 1 (100 attributes at start) - Tier 2 has 110 attributes with same skill setups)
  • Rare / hard to find custom items that boost your character to encourage grouping / playing.
  • War / Peace zones in PVP-OFF areas to encourage players to play outside of their normal sphere of gameplay.
  • Constant bi-weekly or monthly updates to rejuvenate and bring the community closer.

I think these are all good changes and will certainly move HC in the right direction. :)

Personally I think you should bring back beds in order to encourage PvP on a map-wide scale. War/Peace zones are a nice idea but I think that they'd restrict PvP to a few areas. Beds would enable players to fight anywhere since there would be no fear of respawning far away from your base (to, say, a graveyard). This would encourage PvP in/around townships.

It would be nice if you'd give beds a try once more, even if it was just to see if they'd work! :) I know you dislike spawn camping but if it becomes a major problem then you could always just remove beds again.

I remember how fun PvP was in Zeal and in the early days of Dragongarde. :D Raids/battles lasted much longer since, if you died, you could restock in your base and keep fighting. Graveyards made this harder as they were often far away from towns/locations in which fighting could have occured. Graveyards also placed limits on where you can fight, which were usually very flat places with little room to explore. With beds you could explore and fight at the same time (which would be ideal given that this map has been hand-made! :p).

cschris54321

Soulsand
I don't really know how the dungons are going to work, but I do know that back in dragonguard people played the entire map because of ma. Their was a large amount of pvp their, does anyone remember that tree next to temple that tc and fc fought over constantly? Also, I saw this on another server, but basically it was an island where it contained nether quarts and really good nether supplies, but it cost a certain amount of money to get into. It was a whole lot of fun because it was pvp, so you had to stick with your clan in order to get your share of rare cool nether stuff. It is a lot of work to get it all started, but it really was a cool event. The knew system with getting cool weapons/armor from dungeons does seem like an interesting change that could be really really cool well depending on how it is implemented.

Xhazed

Portal
Yesss what majorasmask said i would love to see beds come back. BUT you should allow raiders to break beads in towns just to troll them or be able to raid them more, but keep recall obviously

xMJay

Portal
would tier 2 for class involve leveling from 1-60 again? Also soul wielder sounds cool but I imagine it a balance nightmare.