• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[Skill] for Thief

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
This suggestion was prompted by the responses I received from my bounty hunting suggestion.

For convenience here are the specs current skills:
skills2.png

As you can see, the thief is a fairly diverse spec. They have two very unique skills; backstab and pickpocket. However, the rest is very uniform to Ninja. To add diversity I would like to introduce another unique skill. Track.

Diversity isn't the only reason I believe this spec should get track. It simply makes sense. You see in trade chat that someone is asking for a banker and is running to the DHX now. As a thief, you could then track that person, see where he is, and attempt to pickpocket his gold.

Currently, the only class that has track is ranger. This means that only ranger can truly be a bounty hunter. However, ranger is unique enough! They have a bow, fire arrow, barrage, arrow storm, etc. that are all unique skills. Giving thief track would make thief more diverse, while affecting rangers' diversity by only a small amount. It would also enable to specs to be true bounty hunters. One melee and one ranged.

Bounty hunting is a very specialized field in HC. Few people do it on a regular basis. I believe that this is due to track being restricted to only one spec. Allowing another spec to have track would make bounty hunting more accessible and fun. This would then boost the bounty hunting industry and give the plugin the use that it deserves!

I personally think that track doesn't aid in PvP, so I don't think this would make thief OP.

If I missed anything, or you have questions/comments/concerns, please feel free to post!!!

@Kainzo

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
This suggestion was prompted by the responses I received from my bounty hunting suggestion.

For convenience here are the specs current skills:

As you can see, the thief is a fairly diverse spec. They have two very unique skills; backstab and pickpocket. However, the rest is very uniform to Ninja. To add diversity I would like to introduce another unique skill. Track.

Diversity isn't the only reason I believe this spec should get track. It simply makes sense. You see in trade chat that someone is asking for a banker and is running to the DHX now. As a thief, you could then track that person, see where he is, and attempt to pickpocket his gold.

Currently, the only class that has track is ranger. This means that only ranger can truly be a bounty hunter. However, ranger is unique enough! They have a bow, fire arrow, barrage, arrow storm, etc. that are all unique skills. Giving thief track would make thief more diverse, while affecting rangers' diversity by only a small amount. It would also enable to specs to be true bounty hunters. One melee and one ranged.

Bounty hunting is a very specialized field in HC. Few people do it on a regular basis. I believe that this is due to track being restricted to only one spec. Allowing another spec to have track would make bounty hunting more accessible and fun. This would then boost the bounty hunting industry and give the plugin the use that it deserves!

I personally think that track doesn't aid in PvP, so I don't think this would make thief OP.

If I missed anything, or you have questions/comments/concerns, please feel free to post!!!

@Kainzo
Three diverse skills - Confuse/Pickpocket/Backstab

Track directly effects PVP. Saying so is saying having better armor doesnt make PVP any different ;)

zachimon

Legacy Supporter 7
Three diverse skills - Confuse/Pickpocket/Backstab

Track directly effects PVP. Saying so is saying having better armor doesnt make PVP any different ;)
Kainzo I'm saying this as an experienced ranger, all track really does is find people mining or people with bounties, it does NOTHING for the actual fight

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
@Kainzo ^^ That is what I was thinking. It isn't like another skill that does 10 damage or something. It doesn't directly influence the fight. However, I can see how it could indirectly affect it. IE I keep tracking until I see that they are underground, and then fight them knowing that my spec is good at close quarters.

Would you prefer a new bounty hunter spec? Or are you just completely against the idea of sharing track?

Popeyepoop1

Legacy Supporter 7
They should get some form of smoke because honestly its easier to kill the person rather than pickpocket them. Plus, no one would see a thief steal from you if they sneakily smoked.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
They should get some form of smoke because honestly its easier to kill the person rather than pickpocket them. Plus, no one would see a thief steal from you if they sneakily smoked.
In that respect I think that using pickpocket should not show a message in chat to other players if you are successful. Only if the pickpocket fails. A person would notice if someone tried to pickpocket them (sees skill message) and wouldn't notice if successfully pick pocketed (no message shown).

zachimon

Legacy Supporter 7
IMO pickpocket is just a big fail, it spams the chat and you fail almost every time, and people know to just keep gold in their action bar and pickpocket can't touch it, IE on the test server some thief snuck up behind me and attempted to pickpocket me, I saw him fail about 9 times and turned around and killed him.

LOL accidentally said sneak and not pickpocket at beginning

Fade0120

Legacy Supporter 4
I to agree, pickpocket needs to either not show that your pickpocketing them or add something like smoke or track.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
IMO pickpocket is just a big fail, it spams the chat and you fail almost every time, and people know to just keep gold in their action bar and pickpocket can't touch it, IE on the test server some thief snuck up behind me and attempted to pickpocket me, I saw him fail about 9 times and turned around and killed him.

LOL accidentally said sneak and not pickpocket at beginning
Report bugs to the bug report thread - thanks. Track isnt in the scope of the Thief class

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
Zachimon, Butting heads isn't really the way to progress. Rather then just stating personal opinions as facts why not talk about how it can be improved instead? Track should keep with the ranger specs as that's what they do. Thieves are diverse in their nature and have abilities to promote their class. As far as they go Thieves shouldn't be fighting anyways, they are not rolled as a fighter class but as an infiltration/support.

Possible skills could be akin to a Shadowstep skill(Like charge) but silent with no heroes message. Or possibly all heroes messages from one are silent so they can remain hidden if they play well enough.

Kingtom404

Legacy Supporter 3
Possible skills could be akin to a Shadowstep skill(Like charge) but silent with no heroes message. Or possibly all heroes messages from one are silent so they can remain hidden if they play well enough.
But then that makes me think of a ninja...

7thKnight

Legacy Supporter 7
Fair enough the shadowstep is more ninja like, but they are just ideas. Silent messages should be something spread across most/all rogues

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
I think only ninja and thief should have silent messages. Bards aren't sneaky and rangers have distance so they shouldn't need silent messages.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Not really a bug, pickpocket just sucks
Code better, we'll use it :) - I would like a trap or two for Thiefs or some sort of Treasure hunting ability - but other than that, I'm quite happy with where they are.

The addition of One makes Ninjas more powerful and agile too

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Are silent messages a possibility @Kainzo ?
Could be a very cool feature.

I have to agree with Kainzo, I think thief is fairly solid. PvP wise it is good. It's just not very diverse.

(I really want track on a melee spec, main reason for this suggestion haha)

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
I think silent skills are a great idea, although if they were in I would give Pickpocket a percentage chance of it being silent or not, independent of it's success.

Or we could have a more complex system based on the levels of the victim and thief and those nearby. If the victim is un-spec'd the chance of the Thief's success is higher, and if the victim is a higher level (as a spec) than the Thief the chance is lower. If people within /ch l distance of the victim were in a party with the Thief, the chance would be higher and if the bystanders were not allied with the Thief the chance is lower. This entire thing is certainly overkill and is to be ignored.