• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Remove Auto Sprint on Spout

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
It puts users who can't run spout at a MASSIVE disadvantage during PvP. Especially against casters and disciples (greater the distance between you and the enemy by forcepushing them as you backpedal at the maximum speed anyone else can run! seems legit). Is it realistic? No. Does it put you and the opponent on an equal field of play? No.

Autosprint is OP because when chasing someone, any person, spout or mojang, sprint doesn't break when you hit an entity, like it does in vanilla. But when hitting a person with the mojang launcher, it can stop sprint, especially if your within range to use poisoning skills.

Another thing is that when chasing a caster on a straight path or field, they don't have to slow down to use fireball.... so if you're a class with low-range skills or someone who doesn't use speed potions too often, you could die of an un-spec'd caster that knows how to abuse this. You probably will still win, but does it really make sense for a caster of such low level to be able to do such a high amount of damage to a player that is such a high level, such as Dreadknight and Samurai? No.

All I'm saying is that if I installed a mod 3 months ago that allowed you to have a hotkey for sprinting - I would get banned. Why is it deemed fair? If spout users get it, can I download an autosprint mod for my client? Seems like a fair deal to me.

a little rantish, but I'm a bit mad because 3/4 times I've lost a 50+ killstreak in the past two weeks was directly a result of autosprint and me not having the ability to catch people who sprint backwards and spam fireball or different disciple combos.

I was told that it was going to be restricted in this spout update, but I was informed today it wasn't removed and people still have the ability to use it.

Windwaker

Iron
It will not be removed on Spoutcraft itself, but if you want it to request it to be controllable by the server please report an issue on http://issues.spout.org to get it implemented.

Even then though, it would have to be disabled by @Kainzo or someone.

My opinion on it is that it's not a huge issue and saves a lot of boring running that could deter potential new users.

Grinch

Obsidian Staff
The fairness between it and vanilla can be argued on many features that Spoutcraft offers on Herocraft over Vanilla.

Party HUD, shortcuts, GUI's, etc. I know until recently Spout's autosprint allowed users to sprint backwards as well until after talking with @Kainzo and @Afforess it was fixed. It also should now respect Stamina a bit better. The lag it causes during PVP is being worked on but I am not sure on anything specific Afforess intends to do.

As Windwaker said though, you should make a suggestion on our JIRA if you want to see a server-side option for it so Kainzo can disable it (if he wishes to).

Grinch

Obsidian Staff
Visually you'll still kick up stuff when walking backwards with autosprint but speed-wise its the same as walking backwards normally.

Edit: Tested it myself, what I said still sticks. Please note that at the time of this post, the fix is only in the latest dev builds of Spoutcraft.

Windwaker

Iron
alright, so I'm hoping Kainzo will start forcing users to update to that dev build in order to log in.

thanks
That would be ridiculous, just be patient, it will be in the next recommended build and then people who don't use the development builds will update.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
That would be ridiculous, just be patient, it will be in the next recommended build and then people who don't use the development builds will update.
i was told that there was an option in spout servers that kicks users until they update to the latest version :(.

I don't (can't) use spout, I don't know these things :confused:

Grinch

Obsidian Staff
I do not believe forcing a certain build is possible with SpoutPlugin natively. Someone could easily make a plugin to do so though.

It'd be silly to force the latest dev because they are dev, meant for testing mostly. We try to do RB's as much as possible and I'll see if I can get one pushed sometime soon so this fix is out.

Hydroking77

Legacy Supporter 7
You don't have to use the recommended build. You can select a build before it with the manual build select.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
IMO, auto sprint should be disabled ONLY when someone enters combat. I wonder if it would be a good idea to remove ALL sprinting during combat....

JZillifro

Soulsand
IMO, auto sprint should be disabled ONLY when someone enters combat. I wonder if it would be a good idea to remove ALL sprinting during combat....
I don't think, but that's because I'm pretty sure you walk backwards as fast as you do forwards, at least it feels like it.

Keache

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't think, but that's because I'm pretty sure you walk backwards as fast as you do forwards, at least it feels like it.
If sprinting's removed from combat, it will make combat feel more like... Combat. The person to get the first strike knocks their enemy back as they get ready to trade blows. Auto sprint in fights makes it seem like a forcepushing contest, and when you're trying to chase someone you usually just knock them away, thanks to sprint.

Windwaker

Iron
If sprinting's removed from combat, it will make combat feel more like... Combat. The person to get the first strike knocks their enemy back as they get ready to trade blows. Auto sprint in fights makes it seem like a forcepushing contest, and when you're trying to chase someone you usually just knock them away, thanks to sprint.
Fleeing from your opponent should always be an option, it would be incredibly unfair if you couldn't escape from PvP combat. Either one, they would get the first blow and most likely kill you, two, they are far more powerful and kill you, or three, by some off chance you manage to recover and kill them.