• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Profession: Bounty Hunter

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
I have never liked how only one class can truly be a bounty hunter, ranger, for its track skill. Ranger doesn't appeal to me at all except for this one skill. While this suggestion is aimed to benefit me, and allow me to be the player I want to be, I am sure it will do the same for others.

Most professions are, well, professions. Bounty hunting is definitely a job and so it fits with the rest.
However, this profession should not aid in combat. IE no skills that deal damage, silence, drain mana etc. It should simply provide a means for every class to be a bounty hunter.

Skills.png

Now I know what you are going to say. Track is an important aspect of the economy, rangers earn money from it etc. Well, rangers still have it first off and I really don't care. The whole idea of professions was to make certain aspects of the game more accessible to the people that want them. IE redstone devices to people that also want to PvP. Similarly, this gives bounty hunting to other classes than ranger.

Right now bounty hunting is so annoying if you aren't ranger. You get the first track (15c). You start making your way to the given coords. You stop, /tell a ranger for another (5c), wait for his/her response. Get another coordinate. Run to that coordinate. Stop, /tell a ranger (5c), wait again while the target gets even farther away, etc. And some rangers make you pay them before they track, which means you have to type out '/money pay stupidlongnameblah x' while chasing someone.

Rangers do this: ~bind x /skill track 'target name'. And spam x key.

TL;DR Rangers have an unfair advantage when bounty hunting. Not everyone wants to be a ranger. Adding a bounty hunter profession would make bounty hunting accessible to all.

PS: The forum formats posts lamely. Skills are therefore a screenshot of it before the forums format it stupidly.

@Kainzo

c12095

Holy Shit!
I would love to see something like this, I think it would be a amazing fit into professions. Gives people more than just crafting to look forward to when they pick their professions.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Also, this profession would level up from combat exp, not mining. I'll welcome any new skill ideas, but please note that they CANNOT help in combat in any way. This is not a combat class. It shouldn't abuse duality to make a PvP super-build. IE It should not allow a caster to root, and then snare (a skill I though of for this that slows/stops the target).

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
I'm not sure but I think Professions are suppose to be only Crafter-Related stuff, thats why you have to master crafter first before you get to pick a profession. Don't quote me on this one though, Im not sure.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
No you are right. Maybe professions should have classes. IE Paths: Warrior, rogue, etc. and professions: Crafter, combat, ?.
I guess we would need more combat professions that don't actually aid in combat to pull that off. Idk, it could still stem off of crafter, it would just be weird to mine to be a bounty hunter haha.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Honestly I feel like 'bounties' is one of the best plugins we have besides heroes. And yet it doesn't get any love or recognition.

Edit: My point being that this profession and random bounties would give it some much needed/deserved love.

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
Right now bounty hunting is so annoying if you aren't ranger. You get the first track (15c). You start making your way to the given coords. You stop, /tell a ranger for another, wait for his/her response. Get another coordinate. Run to that coordinate. Stop, /tell a ranger, wait again while the target gets even farther away, etc.

Rangers do this: ~bind x /skill track 'target name'. And spam x key.

TL;DR Rangers have an unfair advantage when bounty hunting. Not everyone wants to be a ranger. Adding a bounty hunter profession would make bounty hunting accessible to all.

This is why every class is given a specialty, that only that class is able to get. For example, Dragoons are able to jump up to high distances, Wizards are able to teleport people, Monks are able to deal 6dmg with just fists. Rangers have the specialty to track, how is that unfair? Plus not all rangers have improved chat mod and Track does have a cooldown. You just need 2 tracks and you are able to determine where your target is going.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Rangers have a bow. Does anyone else? Nope. Big specialty right there.

And none of those specialties affect anything else besides PvP. They are just PvP skills. Track affects, no - controls, the bounty plugin. It shouldn't be exclusive to them.

c12095

Holy Shit!
Rangers have a bow. Does anyone else? Nope. Big specialty right there.

And none of those specialties affect anything else besides PvP. They are just PvP skills. Track affects, no - controls, the bounty plugin. It shouldn't be exclusive to them.

Sorry but Bards can use bows :(

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
Really? Didn't know that. I assume it does much less damage than a ranger's bow, so my point still stands (although crippled).

Pugglez_

Legacy Supporter 3
There is usually only about 2-4 bounties every day, and I myself, a ranger, tracks about more than 20 times a day and they are not the same person I track over and over. Track isn't just for bounties, it dosen't control it. If there was no bounty plugin, track would still be useful.

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
You are looking at it from one side. What if there was no track but still a bounty plugin? It would be pretty hard, often impossible, to complete a bounty.

Edit: Therefore, it controls it :p
Also, of course it would be a ranger defending his turf hahaha

c12095

Holy Shit!
tbh if you think about it, every class seems to share each skill, but just in another form. Your example of jump for a dragoon, is copied by Blink on a wizard. Pretty much everything have a copy I honestly don't see what would be wrong with sharing Track for the sake of bounties? Not exactly a game breaking change, but it would be very useful because I know a lot of people want to do bounties but don't know how to start without a Ranger to Track. This could liven up the Bounty market and let some more people learn how to find people instead of seeking a Ranger, or if ones not on then usually quitting.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
unfortunately, there is no method to provide exp for collecting bounties. The idea of a profession complimenting a combat feature isn't bad - I like it, but there's just no implementation for it at the moment.

Ranger is basically 'bounty hunter' ;)

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
unfortunately, there is no method to provide exp for collecting bounties.

Ranger is basically 'bounty hunter' ;)
Haha did you even read past that? The rest of it explains why ranger shouldn't be bounty hunter <_<

I don't mean to sound snide about it but I genuinely believe that this is an idea that should be expanded on. I know you've got enough work to do already, but give it a chance please.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Haha did you even read past that? The rest of it explains why ranger shouldn't be bounty hunter <_<

I don't mean to sound snide about it but I genuinely believe that this is an idea that should be expanded on. I know you've got enough work to do already, but give it a chance please.
read my post.

It's not feasible/possible to have bounty-exp under the current framework

Kalkyte

Legacy Supporter 5
It was just a skill idea; they don't level solely from bounties. I was thinking they would be the first profession to gain exp from combat (PvP/PvE).

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I should have specified that.

Shadownub

ICE ICE ICE!
Legacy Supporter 3
IMO the idea is great and it would be nice to see more people using bounties, but it doesn't fit in as a profession, they're a lot more crafter-based. If we were to get an additional path in the professions for combat based profs, this could be one of the specs for it, but then xp gain is messed up. Because if the profession is gaining xp from PvP/PvE, you're getting double xp for both your profession and your class from that battle, which doesn't seem right.

An alternative there would be to have 3/4 of your xp going towards your Primary Class (Until mastered) and the rest going towards your profession if it is a combat one. But then leveling will be very tedious and slow. So it depends on how you work that through.

I love the base idea, though, and the skills are great ;)