• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Poetry Corner

Noahhtho

Stone
I've always thought that poetry was a god-sent fix for any mental ailments, as it's helped me through some tough times. I'm just curious onto who else enjoys a little bit of poetry, and maybe share some of your work? I'm not pursuing a career in anything remotely related to poetry, or English in general, but I still like to think that I would've in a past life. It's just something I like to dabble in a bit and find it to be incredibly deviating, as it cleanses my head of all things around me so that I can focus on the work of art in front of me.

Here's something of mine that I wrote awhile back for my college English course.

Out of time

Time is a particularly fragile thing.
From the land of things both seen and unseen,
I've come to the realization that time is an idea that was formulated by living things.
Be that from how we realize spend each day aging like fine wine
Only to eventually decay away and turn to dust.
I've come to the realization that man made or otherwise, time runs out
And eventually, I, too, will run out of time.
From the land of things both seen and unseen, I will fall over and die
Be that warm in my bed, or in a dark and remote corner of the earth.
O, alas! Life may be riveting through the ocular lenses of that particular mind-set.
Running out of time, running into mortal boundaries that have been created
Alas, I am running out of time.
Be that as it may, I will run out of time in utter solace.
As I know, given from the knowledge in the land of things both seen and unseen,
I will find peace.
Thus, I shall run out of time only to find a new adventure
In the land of things both seen and unseen.

I particularly like this poem that I wrote because it was written in a time that my mother was diagnosed with cancer for the fourth time, and I thought that, given that she's undergone the whole process of chemotherapy many times prior, that she simply did not have the strength to live. I wrote it for her while she was recovering in the hospital. If you can't tell, it has a little bit of a religious pretense, only because my mother believes in life after death and I figured it'd be a refreshing thought for her. The land of things both seen and unseen, is, of course, Heaven, assuming you look at it from a Christian view point. However, it's a vague statement so it could mean whatever the reader wants it to read.

If you have any works of your own, please feel free to comment below. This is a safe space, so don't mind the ridicule of me, and I assume others will respect this idea.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
There once was a man from Regius.
His bitching was oh so egregious.

He spouted abuse, happy and safe in his town.
But then War came and he was shat upon, fucked up, shut down.

A town, budding with new players, is done.
Sacrificed to two or three half-hours of half-baked Saturday fun.

A murder! The victim?
Herocraft's ambitions!
But at least the staff
won't have to answer Grief petitions....

Last edited:

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Out of time

Time is a particularly fragile thing.
From the land of things both seen and unseen,
I've come to the realization that time is an idea that was formulated by living things.
Be that from how we realize spend each day aging like fine wine
Only to eventually decay away and turn to dust.
I've come to the realization that man made or otherwise, time runs out
And eventually, I, too, will run out of time.
From the land of things both seen and unseen, I will fall over and die
Be that warm in my bed, or in a dark and remote corner of the earth.
O, alas! Life may be riveting through the ocular lenses of that particular mind-set.
Running out of time, running into mortal boundaries that have been created
Alas, I am running out of time.
Be that as it may, I will run out of time in utter solace.
As I know, given from the knowledge in the land of things both seen and unseen,
I will find peace.
Thus, I shall run out of time only to find a new adventure
In the land of things both seen and unseen.
*snaps*

try removing clunky words, to improve flow. You include what appears to be finely chosen diction and an overall theme but its so cluttered with unnecessary modifiers that the message is lost.

Like if you removed "Particularly", "Both", a less passive structure for "I've Come to realize" ie "I have realized" or "I realized", removed "Eventually", etc.

TL:DR. Find every place in the poem where you read something like "Time is a PARTICULARLY fragile thing" and then remove the superfluous 3-5 syllables as appropriate. If you plan carefully it won't be hard to shore up your meter in the same process.

Last edited:

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
@Dsawemd, it seems you've misread the opening post. Noahhtho was offering a place for people to share poetry and personal reflections, not seeking a critique of his/her writing style. Perhaps if you were to reread the OP and then reflect on what was actually said?

From myself I'll offer this:

Vulnerability, shared wisely with those who are worthy of it, is strength. Sharing vulnerability takes great courage.

Brene Brown takes the older interpretation of courage, which is to say "To speak one's mind by telling all one's heart" ie authenticity, genuineness, presence.

Brene Brown is a researcher/speaker/writer who has made remarkable contributions toward the understanding of whole-hearted living, vulnerability, shame, belonging, authenticity. Her 2010 TED talk is now one of the top 5 most viewed. I strongly commend her work to anyone who's interested in understanding yourself better and figuring out your place in the world.

Thank you, @Noahhtho, for what you've shared that's meaningful with you. I acknowledge your courage.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
Nah, I read it and replied as I wanted. I agree that revealing his very personal inspiration was brave.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
And your choice to stop speaking to me as a friend and rather choosing to prod at me with each opportunity is tiring, Witchy. We used to chat daily, but this is the 2nd time you have bothered to interact with me since I've returned to HC since late 2015/in 2016 and both times have been thoroughly unpleasant for me. What a disappointment.

Hey guys, let's keep the aggressiveness out of a poetry thread and into a PM.

Onto the topic of poetry, in a sense I do enjoy it. I have always been much more of a musical person though. There are a couple songs I listen to when I start to get emotional (which, honestly, is very rare). This is my personal favorite. It used to be one of my brother's favorites as well.

Dsawemd

Legacy Supporter 8
I wish I knew a little bearded boy.
He'd tell me which doors to avoid.

Holy shit Dafe ofc u get emotional. Super intense song about leaving life.

Cellardoor333

Legacy Supporter 7
"If anyone ever tells you, you're not good enough, you're not smart enough, give up your foolish dream. If anyone ever tells you to quit. You got to make them wear a diaper on their mouth because, man, they're just talking shit."

"You are worth crossing whatever distance it would take. Worth building bridges to make a connection 'cause i've been secretly stealing stop signs. Repainting traffic lines so that i can only go one way, cause as far as i can tell dedication is the better part of foreplay. And I admit, i'm committed. Everything i've done, i did it to make you smile cause it's been the largest part of a long while since i've had someone do that for me. You feel like comedy after three years of being on a bandwagon of calamity. And I can't be bpthered with a tragedy without trying to get to know you. I've been through enough wretchedness to know that some flowers can grow through the garbage and you make me want to take up gardening. Seeing sadness drain the spirit out of this history as if the worst is yet to come. And those who took the time to know me, knows I don't run. Partly because I'm not athletic, but mostly because that's life and i've met it head on. I've goen the distance more times than George Lucas has looked at Jar-Jar Binks and thought FFFUUUUCCKKKKKK!!!...... And until I fit the bill, I will fill my days trying. Cause i'm yours from the bottom to the top. And i'm not just saying I'll be here for you. I'm saying I'll never stop."

GodOfGales

Legacy Supporter 4
Death's Angel
By: Me
It swept the wind with it's icy hand,
Taking it's right by plaguing the land.
One by one is picked it's crew,
Only taking what was yet due.
Some may scream,
Some may cheer.
Only few sense it's near.
Taking it's throne over our eternal home,
Beaconing us all to our very fall.
Let us all follow,
And forget the troubles of tomorrow.

Over time, I've lost a line of this poem, which originated as 12 lines but has reduced to 11. I wrote this myself awhile back when my uncle passed away; however, when my mother recently passed I came to understand my own words more.

I believe the missing verse is between lines 8 & 9 because the rhyming scheme drops there.

FaZeAlpine

ICE ICE ICE!

A poem series dedicated to the kingdom of Regius.

Regius

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Regius' town
Looks like poo

Trench
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Regius' trench
Is cancerous

Walls
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Regius' walls
Are illegal

gang gang

Last edited:

MunchlaxHero

Max Legacy Supporter
A poem series dedicated to the kingdom of Regius.

Regius

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Regius' town
Looks like poo

Trench
Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
Regius' trench
Is cancerous