• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion Miner Skill

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
The idea of this skill is to provide a bit more mining to miner. At the moment I find the skill Light to be useless and buggy since you can just use UltraVision so Light can be replaced with this or it could be put in as a lvl 25 skill.
To save you some reading of the older threads, the suggested skill is that Miners be able to use it to mine 3x3 blocks. In the other threads people said they would prefer it as something to help clear, but not be able to mine the ores within the 3x3. Just as an idea stamina can be used as a consumption with mana for this skill so that it can't be spammed but still be used enough to be very useful. Feel free to comment here more ideas and to look at the older threads. :)

A visual of this would be
OOO
OXO
OOO

This has been suggested in the past, but nothing seemed to happen with it.
Here are threads to previous suggestions for this that hold some comments/ideas:
http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/new-miner-skill.53537/
http://herocraftonline.com/main/threads/profession-skill.48239/

peterpunx

Legacy Supporter 6
ive seen that mechanism in ftb and... its too good, maybe if you dont get the ore and just destroy the block? just to clear areas like undercities

also, not being able to use both excavate and this at the same time.

I feel like there might be some issue with bypassing towny protections with the skill. I have played on a server with a mod that did something similar some time ago, and it was such a pain trying to fix everything they just banned the ability.

If this ability were to be added it could be used to break the outer walls of towns or maybe even objects inside of it depending on how exactly it functions. Of course this would be totally bannable if someone was to do this, but it is still never good to give griefers another tool to use and it is a pain for staff to replace any illegally stolen items.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this and have no idea what I'm talking about, I am just basing this off of previous experience.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
I feel like there might be some issue with bypassing towny protections with the skill. I have played on a server with a mod that did something similar some time ago, and it was such a pain trying to fix everything they just banned the ability.

If this ability were to be added it could be used to break the outer walls of towns or maybe even objects inside of it depending on how exactly it functions. Of course this would be totally bannable if someone was to do this, but it is still never good to give griefers another tool to use and it is a pain for staff to replace any illegally stolen items.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this and have no idea what I'm talking about, I am just basing this off of previous experience.
That's where you set the skill to be a bit up on the lvl chain since in my experience most people who grief are noobs that don't know the rules/what they are doing and have not leveled up that high.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff

Theoretically, you should be able to throw a BlockBreakEvent at the position with the player to make sure they can dig it, only issue is anticheat might get mad over it.

That's where you set the skill to be a bit up on the lvl chain since in my experience most people who grief are noobs that don't know the rules/what they are doing and have not leveled up that high.
Not entirely true. A lot of the people who play MC are young kids. They can also get to a high level, especially in a profession like mining. Someone in a town making them angry coupled with a low understanding of the server's rules could result in terrible grief if griefing is possible with the ability.

The point of this is that Kainzo is never going to arm griefers and so if this issue does exist the ability is simply not going to happen. That could even be the reason this was never added in the first place.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
Not entirely true. A lot of the people who play MC are young kids. They can also get to a high level, especially in a profession like mining. Someone in a town making them angry coupled with a low understanding of the server's rules could result in terrible grief if griefing is possible with the ability.

The point of this is that Kainzo is never going to arm griefers and so if this issue does exist the ability is simply not going to happen. That could even be the reason this was never added in the first place.
The fact they can have tools is arming them. Besides, in my time here, there is at least one person out of 15 people that will grief that is experienced, but that one person doesn't come around all the time and is normally griefing abandoned places. By the time they reach high levels they are more knowledgeable about the server. If you're the owner of a town and your town member is unhappy and turns to breaking rules that is also the owners fault for accepting them to the town and also not being able to handle their members properly. If someone seems loose and doesn't know, then teach them the outlines. This game wouldn't be fun if risks weren't taken. If anyone even chose to do a mass grief with a skill such as this, then the area can be rolled back. I've handled players of all kind and many, if not all, problems that may result in rule breaking can be avoided.

In my opinion Excavate is a far worse/better tool for griefing than this skill would ever be yet Excavate is used properly among people to my knowledge.

Yeetrium2

Soulsand
If you don't want your town griefed, make excavate only work on stone. I also think the miner needs more abilities.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
I'd just toss in a NoCheat exemption, call BlockBreakEvents for everything broken and call it a day IMO.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
What I am thinking is this skill only being able to be used once every t seconds. Some mana and stamina would be used up. The cooldown would be a little shorter than how fast it would normally take you to break the 9 blocks if not the exact same amount of time just less effort.

I still don't think griefing would be an issue and that Excavate is a more superior griefing tool.

What I am thinking is this skill only being able to be used once every t seconds. Some mana and stamina would be used up. The cooldown would be a little shorter than how fast it would normally take you to break the 9 blocks if not the exact same amount of time just less effort.

I still don't think griefing would be an issue and that Excavate is a more superior griefing tool.
Well of course it would use stamina and have a cooldown. My only thing about this is that if it has a large cooldown then it will lose its value. If the cool down is too small it would be spammed and be too much of a benefit. Finding the right balance is difficult.

But if it could possibly be used for griefing it will. You simply either have more faith in the average MC player than you should, or you are just driven to get this implemented and your judgement is clouded.

I'd just toss in a NoCheat exemption, call BlockBreakEvents for everything broken and call it a day IMO.
I am not sure what this means as I know absolutely nothing about computers, coding, etc. If this means that it would not be able to grief then I would say that this would then be a solid idea.

0xNaomi

Legacy Supporter 6
Retired Staff
\I am not sure what this means as I know absolutely nothing about computers, coding, etc. If this means that it would not be able to grief then I would say that this would then be a solid idea.

NoCheat exemption: So anticheat won't get mad and stop you (like it does with dirt now)

BlockBreakEvents: What are sent out when the player breaks blocks normally, can be cancelled. Using it basically means you're obeying normal build logic (aside from the part where it's really fast)

GodOfGales

Legacy Supporter 4
I really like the idea of this skill, lets hope a fix can be struck. Great suggestion!