• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Suggestion get rid of market chest thing in exchange

llamasx3

Legacy Supporter 6
The people I have talked to generally agree it is a good idea to remove this (haven't had anyone disagree).
how I play(ed) herocraft: make a cute shop and farm until i die to upkeep it. its how i get the most enjoyment from hc.
now i cant do that because no one checks/owns trade district.

Aguares

Stone
I agree the market is too easy to get the items that you want and remove any player to player interaction, it would be fun to roam a market and find what I need instead of typing it out to get it.

Guardian787

Legacy Supporter 9
I also could not agree more with this. Back in my day the shops made players have to travel to spawn and look around the shops. Now its like a Walmart moved into town and you can just go to the Global Market, heck you can even buy a Global Market chest from the HC store and place it in your town/house.

There are only 2 shops in the trade district, no one uses the cool advertising billboard spaces. The economy is kind of a single blade sword with the Global Market, no need to go around to each shop and see who has the lowest prices anymore.

Getting rid of the Global Market would increase player interaction, make the merchant profession more useful again, would probably help stabilize the economy because people would be paying more money to the server to rent out the shops, and get players familiar with spawn.

I have new players that join my town that just use Town Spawn to get to my town and they never have a need to go to the main spawn, a lot don't even know anything is outside of the first area where the exchange and nexus is.

I feel with all the teleport options, global market, and people easily being able to max classes in a few days, we are just catering to making people more lazy. Luckily this weekend player exp and leveling will be fixed, but the first two issues I mentioned need to be looked at still.

WitchOnaRampage

Legacy Supporter 9
I would very much like to see the spawn castle used more! Adding a couple of suggestions here that I've made in similar threads.
  • Limiting how much can be sold on the Global Market - a limit of 20 listings per player was recently imposed - let's bring it down to 5 or so for non-merchants?
  • Limiting what can be sold on the Global Market - there's a blacklist we can use - perhaps also a whitelist? - and enable it so that only exclusive items can be sold there? Such as codexes, catalysts, custom armor and weapon drops...?
  • Move the global market - and the Exchange - out from next to spawn - move them down to the Trade District - tuck them somewhere obscure so that players have to wander through the Trade District to access them.

Fiskell

Coal
I agree with WitchOnARampage listings should have more restrictions and you shouldn't be able to just sell everything. But I also think that there should be more added to spawn to make people actually leave the top room.

Rhapsodist

Legacy Supporter 5
I would very much like to see the spawn castle used more! Adding a couple of suggestions here that I've made in similar threads.
  • Limiting how much can be sold on the Global Market - a limit of 20 listings per player was recently imposed - let's bring it down to 5 or so for non-merchants?
  • Limiting what can be sold on the Global Market - there's a blacklist we can use - perhaps also a whitelist? - and enable it so that only exclusive items can be sold there? Such as codexes, catalysts, custom armor and weapon drops...?
  • Move the global market - and the Exchange - out from next to spawn - move them down to the Trade District - tuck them somewhere obscure so that players have to wander through the Trade District to access them.
I don't see why anyone but merchants should be able to listen anything at all. Think of it like a food service license or a liquor license. Not just anyone can sell this stuff.

I also agree that maybe it should just be custom items. That would probably more than halve the current market, and would make a lot more sense in my opinion. And selling those custom times in chests was always silly anyway, because most people are only selling one or two at a time.

Last edited:

llamasx3

Legacy Supporter 6
Limiting it to more custom and rare items would solve the overall issue. I don't think limiting it to only merchants would be a good idea because merchants would get a sort of monopoly due to the convenience of the global market chest (i.e; why travel to a family owned pet store 10 minutes away when walmart is across the street?). No one would go to profession specific stores

Also, it would be nice to have the global market and exchange across from the ad board to increase traffic and promote use of the board.

side note; promoting use of the board may produce more donations (the first time I donated it was to get colored signs, second time was to get drop transfer)

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We've already placed great restrictions on how many items, the tax cut, etc on using this. I'm not interested in removing the Global Market from spawn, but as Witch said, we can make it more appealing to use the other shops and make the castle more lively.

MoeJunur

Staff member
Legacy Supporter 9
Would like to suggest maybe a per items charge per day for non merchants!
Limits on those non merchants, Limits on merchants also!
That way a player needs to store the items until someone asks for it in trade then they would post it!
This would eliminate the mass storage of items on the Market.

Yavool

Legacy Supporter 9
Making a shop at spawn is one of my most favorite things across all the map iterations of HC over the past couple years. That being said, the marketplace has disincentivized me from creating a shop at spawn for two reasons: 1) why pay the overhead when I can just post it in the marketplace? and 2) there is such low traffic in the trade district that some ghost towns are thinking "dang, there's pretty low traffic in the the trade district!"

I vote to keep the market (it helps to fill in the gaps of items that are difficult to code for chest shops); limit the number of items that can be sold by non-merchant vendors to 10 or 15, and/or alternatively limit the things that can be sold by each member based on profession (picks by miners, swords by smiths, food by farmers, etc.); and finally greatly reduce the rental price by 75% so that people will be encouraged to actually make and keep shops up.

Other ideas: make portals to the trade district from spawn and back; get more signage up pointing towards the trade district, and any other ways that would make it more user friendly.

-yav

Last edited:

llamasx3

Legacy Supporter 6
We've already placed great restrictions on how many items, the tax cut, etc on using this. I'm not interested in removing the Global Market from spawn, but as Witch said, we can make it more appealing to use the other shops and make the castle more lively.
unfortunately, not enough restrictions. Global market killed trade district and traditional chest shops. I am fine with not removing global market if it is limited it to custom and rare items or some similar change is implemented.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
unfortunately, not enough restrictions. Global market killed trade district and traditional chest shops. I am fine with not removing global market if it is limited it to custom and rare items or some similar change is implemented.
Sorry, that's not whats going to happen.

Free trade is far more important than littered chestshops in a trade district. Though I wholeheartedly want people to buy the shops around the market, the price point isnt there and the admins/myself need to fix them so they are affordable.

A greater tax being placed on the global market will make users decide if they want to go to chestshops or pay the 25% tax on selling items. It's about inflation fighting, Chestshop doesn't have a tax on it.

Dwarfers

Legacy Supporter 6
I agree with bringing down the max amount of listings. The game is just too easy with the global market right now and with so many ways to get to spawn. Merchant seems pretty pointless to even become right now even if it increases listing max in my opinion. To having the castle spawn more in use, I found the questlines in Bastion to be very fun and rewarding to participate in.

llamasx3

Legacy Supporter 6
@Kainzo I really don't understand what you are trying to do/say.. You are talking about how you want free trade and taxes? you say you want to promote shops then bash them? I just rejoined the server and havent gotten much experience with selling items yet since I am still leveling my profession. Do you think raising the taxes will promote trade district activity or do you not want "littered chestshops" in your server?

I agree with WitchOnARampage listings should have more restrictions and you shouldn't be able to just sell everything. But I also think that there should be more added to spawn to make people actually leave the top room.
I agree there isn't much to do at spawn than the exchange you should add more things around the place and maybe move the exchange away from the actual spawn.

Fiskell

Coal
I agree there isn't much to do at spawn than the exchange you should add more things around the place and maybe move the exchange away from the actual spawn.
This would definitely work. It would mean that the large area outside in spawn was actually used and people would be more likely to rent or buy property.