• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

FIX: Minecraft freezes every few minutes

TheTXLibra

Legacy Supporter 8
For MONTHS I've been dealing with this problem, and finally found the fix last night. What happens is, my Minecraft would freeze up every few minutes for a few seconds. My machine is a powerhouse, so it makes no sense. I had tried uninstalling/reinstalling MC, updated all video drivers, deleted Java cache, upgraded Java, and all the other typical things one should try in these circumstances, and nothing worked.

FINALLY, last night I found the problem AND the fix. See, by default, Minecraft doesn't assign itself enough RAM to play optimally. It will only assign something like 500mb to 1gig RAM, when it really needs about 2gig to run well without freezing up. 4gig is even beter.

Anyway, here's how you fix it. open up notepad, and paste the following into it.

@Echo OFF
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\java.exe" -Xmx4g -Xms4g -jar "C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\Downloads\Minecraft.exe"

Obviously, change the paths to match your location for Java and Minecraft. If you are low on ram, use 2g instead of 4g. Then save it as MC.BAT and run it when you want to play Minecraft. Problem solved.

kevinlive

Legacy Supporter 2
Thanks! I've had this problem myself, and it just breaks me when I freeze in the middle of something. Thanks again <3

Fjordsen

Legacy Supporter 6
Already tried that several times, it doesn't work. :/ Allocating RAM in any other ways also just gives me errors.