• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Exploiting issues and rules.

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
Exploiting has always been and will always be illegal.

All users that have been found guilty of exploitation of regions and blocks will be killed, their stolen materials removed and their coins wiped to zero. If this is not a large enough deterrence, depending on severity the user will be banned for an appropriate length of time, or permanently as we see fit.

Another point: regarding chests being covered with blocks to keep them safe. It is no longer supported in any fashion as a method of protection (Kain Edit: This means that we aren't refunding items but we will punish the abusers - we strongly urge you NOT use dirt over chest because of crap game mechanics and your items will probably be stolen as its not a proper defense against). If your items are stolen while using this method we will not take any action on your behalf (though will investigate for exploiting records). We only support LWC as a valid form of chest protection.

Hopefully this clears up the recent issues.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Apologies for the miscommunication. It was never our intent to come off as allowing any illegal activities, this was a complete misconception.

We DONT want;
  • server rule breakers
  • toe steppers of the rules
  • hacks/griefers
We DO want
  • active players
  • socialites
  • builders
  • pvpers
  • pvers
  • hardcore enthusiasts!
To-Recap:
LWC = GOOD, ultimate protection!
Exploiting/glitching = BAD, WE WILL PUNISH including Suspending/Banning/Coin&Item Removal.
Dirt Over Chest = MEAGER protection, can lose items!

HollowSith

Diamond
iLoveFishDicks was banned under the impression that what he was doing wasn't bannable. Said from a Founder, Admin and Mod. One of each major staff position. I understand exploiters should have be banned after breaking the rules, but the "creaters" of the rules, said otherwise. Is a pardon possible? Because of this severe miscommunication?

Honestly, I'm not sure where this kind of post should go, but considering they concern one another, I'm posting it here.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Exploit report forums - for issues that should be handle privately. When in doubt, the ruling on the wiki/website (things that have been set in stone - are the right ones to abide by).

mdperk2

Legacy Supporter 3
I like that this is being laid out clearly. Thanks!!

I do have one question though. Do you guys check the items/coin for laundering? I've seen at lease a few (not naming anyone in particular) people have their coin go right back up to several thousand immediately after a coin and item wipe. This leads me to think that some people may be trying to circumvent the item/coin wipe by giving their stuff to someone else, or selling it to someone to quickly get coin from the items, then pay that money to a friend to 'hold' it until their ban clears. I just find it incredibly suspicious that someone that just came off an exploit ban has 7,000 coins the day after they get back on the server

Example: An exploiter has a friend that happens to be a banker for some random unnamed town. They exploit/steal a ton of gold, and know they're about to get banned for it if caught. So they give that gold to the banker, who sells it to DHX or anyone else for coin. They hang onto that coin until the ban clears, then get a lump sum payment from the banker right after re-joining the server

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We most certainly will remove coin and items from the offenders. Anyone who is stupid enough to attempt to exploit on our watch will be HARSHLY dealt with.

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
so if I exploit into a region, give the stuff to another player,

a mod catches me, and kills me

then I come back, sell the stuff and I'm richer but had to deal with 1 death

doesn't sound like much of a deterrant

sadikyo

Legacy Supporter 8
iLoveFishDicks was banned under the impression that what he was doing wasn't bannable. Said from a Founder, Admin and Mod. One of each major staff position. I understand exploiters should have be banned after breaking the rules, but the "creaters" of the rules, said otherwise. Is a pardon possible? Because of this severe miscommunication?

Honestly, I'm not sure where this kind of post should go, but considering they concern one another, I'm posting it here.

There was some confusion about the punishment for exploiting. The act has always been illegal, as Xanipher stated very clearly. So when iLoveFishDicks was exploiting, he may have been under the impression that he wouldn't be banned, but he was knowingly committing an illegal act, and breaking the rules. The admins have stated several times, in several places, that they have the right to increase the severity of punishment at any time on a case by case basis. Let's not forget the FishDicks has been banned in the past, so this is not a first offense.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
When you say blocks covering chests will not longer be supported, is this as of a certain date? So if someone say did exploit through blocks, say last week, will the stolen items and coins be removed from the offender?

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
We only support LWC as a valid form of chest protection.

I have maybe 5 lwcs, keeping the most expensive things safe, however I have 100 other chests

lwc costs are too high and /climit too low to protect more stuff

if exploiting a dirt block and stealing from the chest is illegal, but at the same time the dirt block protection isn't a "valid method of protection" these statements counterdict eachother, the result will be more and more exploiting

additionally, you can only protect against an exploit once you know how it works, and players that don't exploit always find this out a little too late, the advantage is to the theif

this is like saying that if you go walking through the ghetto and get robbed the police isn't going to go after the robber because walking in the ghetto instead of driving around in a tank isn't a valid form of protection

also, this only applies to the ones that you catch, thieves should be so afraid of the punishment that they don't even try it, the burdon shouldn't be placed on the legitimate honest players

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
ILoveFIshDicks was already banned for exploiting once, he should've learned his lesson by now. The rules clearly state exploiting is illegal, so he should know if he simply just read the rules. Be grateful it wasn't a perma ban. That's just my opinion that if it's illegal in the rules, why did you even have to ask staff in the first place?

Kryptomaniac

Legacy Supporter 7
Okay I understand the whole dirt in front of the blocks is not a valid protection, but in general, is exploiting or glitching through any form of personal region or town regions illegal.

AKA, you come across a chest in the wild covered by dirt, break the dirt, take the stuff, whatever. But then you find a house thats personal regioned, and the only way in initially is exploiting. Then to get through dirt covering chests you have to exploit through the dirt. Is that now considered legal, glitching region blocks to get to stuff.

MajorasMask

Ungodly
Another point: regarding chests being covered with blocks to keep them safe. It is no longer supported in any fashion as a method of protection. If your items are stolen while using this method we will not take any action on your behalf (though will investigate for exploiting records). We only support LWC as a valid form of chest protection.

I don't understand? I thought it WAS exploiting to break a block to get access to a chest? Or is this an exception? Either way, I still believe it is wrong. Townships should be a place for both PvP protection and item protection. Judging from what you said here, is it legal to just go ahead and try to break blocks to gain access to chests? I am confused.

Kryptomaniac

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't understand? I thought it WAS exploiting to break a block to get access to a chest? Or is this an exception? Either way, I still believe it is wrong. Townships should be a place for both PvP protection and item protection. Judging from what you said here, is it legal to just go ahead and try to break blocks to gain access to chests? I am confused.

Agreed, if someone manages to get into regions, finds a chest with one block above it, woot break it and just click the chest quickly and free stuff. Now legally. >.<

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
I think they are saying it is illegal to do, but you just wont get in trouble for it

I read this as ADMINS SAY DONT DO IT SO I WONT DO IT

13 year old cheaters read it as IF YOU DONT GET IN TROUBLE ITS OK EVEN IF SOMEBODY SAYS ITS ILLEGAL

I want them to be too scared to do it, like the ideal conversation would go like this

cheaterdouche6969: hey man I'm gonna exploit
friendofcheaterxxxcooldude: DONT do it man, billy did that and they ate his face off, banned him, unbanned him so they could kill him, and banned him again
cheaterdouche6969: yea I guess you are right, its not worth the risk

EDIT: these are made up names, but I think they are pretty similar to what most kiddies think is an awesome name

Kryptomaniac

Legacy Supporter 7
I think they are saying it is illegal to do, but you just wont get in trouble for it

Typically... when something is illegal, theres a consequence. That would be like saying in real life, Ye you can break into someones house even if theres security, but its illegal, you just wont get in trouble. >.> Just on a lower end scale.

sadikyo

Legacy Supporter 8
I love how people twist the admin's words...

Here is what Xanipher said:

"Another point: regarding chests being covered with blocks to keep them safe. It is no longer supported in any fashion as a method of protection. If your items are stolen while using this method we will not take any action on your behalf (though will investigate for exploiting records). We only support LWC as a valid form of chest protection."

This doesn't mean it's now legal to steal from chests with dirt over them in regions. The message was aimed at the "victim" of theft, saying that even though it is an illegal action, at this point you just KNOW to keep stuff better protected. So they're not going to go way out of their way to punish someone and try to get your items back, mainly because they don't have the time to do so.

BUT, if someone goes around a regioned town and exploits into 50 chests using this method, I'm sure he will get punished. Notice where Xanipher said "though will investigate for exploiting records." What do you think this means?

The bottom line is, regardless of the punishment, exploiting is illegal. You CAN (even though you may not always under every circumstance) be banned for it. I don't see how you can argue with this statement. :)

I don't know why I bother, because there are those people who want to play by the rules, and then there are those people who will do everything humanly possible to skirt on the absolute edge of the boundaries, maximizing their potential gain by taking advantage of every single loophole, every single gap in the rules, every single gray area, etc.

Angyles

Legacy Supporter 7
What I am confused on is the comment Xani made saying "We will not take any action on your behalf", but action was never taken in the first place. You never received your stolen items back, so what actions will not longer be taken on behalf of the innocent player?

So the question still remains, can player A get into regions ((Legally)) exploit past dirt blocks, steal everything and get away with it?

HollowSith

Diamond
What I am confused on is the comment Xani made saying "We will not take any action on your behalf", but action was never taken in the first place. You never received your stolen items back, so what actions will not longer be taken on behalf of the innocent player?

Xanipher is simply restating the whole rule. Not just the bits and pieces people weren't clear about. That way, no one can get the wrong impression. She's simply restating they won't reimburse you or whatever else an admin might do to make the victim feel at ease.

So the question still remains, can player A get into regions ((Legally)) exploit past dirt blocks, steal everything and get away with it?

Xani said, "Another point: regarding chests being covered with blocks to keep them safe. It is no longer supported in any fashion as a method of protection. If your items are stolen while using this method we will not take any action on your behalf (though will investigate for exploiting records). We only support LWC as a valid form of chest protection."

So..No. They'll investigate it at there own will to get the exploiters, but because of your poor protective measures they aren't going to reimburse you. Use an LWC.. if you can't get one, bunk up, borrow money, or hide it beneath 2 blocks in a region (though, this is still semi possible to get through). Why is this so hard for so many of you to understand? :S