• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Star Wars The Old Republic

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Eve online is a pretty good sci-fi mmo
Yea... but after several years of playing it. I am kinda tired of the grind to get money for a PLEX every month and to get the ships to pvp in :p

Steamed

Legacy Supporter 3
I watched my friend play star wars the old republic for like 20 minutes and it didnt look that fun. Granted he was only level 7 or so.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Eve is about as freeform as I think you can get with any MMO it actually have a proper economy the only items sold by NPC are skill books everything else is bought and sold by players or earned by Missioning. The other thing I like about it is that Death actually has meaning. If your ship explodes that's it you ship has exploded it is now a pile of floating shrapnel in space.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
I watched my friend play star wars the old republic for like 20 minutes and it didnt look that fun. Granted he was only level 7 or so.

I guess if you can't seem to get involved with the story then it must seem like a space-themed WOW, but if you've played KOTOR I and II you'll probably like it.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
I guess if you can't seem to get involved with the story then it must seem like a space-themed WOW, but if you've played KOTOR I and II you'll probably like it.
This

nmtonj

Soulsand
I want to get the game just for the role-playing aspect of it, plus it's Star Wars.

Apherdite

Queen Bee
I learned my lesson on games that don't interest me immediately from Rift. It was the exact same thing to me. To me. To me, alone. I played Rift from the first beta and it didn't immediately catch my attention. Yes, I loved the character creation - as I do in almost every game. But even as I progressed towards the end of the game, it was very stale. I know that SWTOR would have been the same way for myself. It's not like it will magically get amazing after the first 20 levels are crappy...

However, I am happy that some people like this game. I love BioWare as a company, but I wholeheartedly think they should have stuck with a DA MMO. God Dragon Age owns balls.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
I learned my lesson on games that don't interest me immediately from Rift. It was the exact same thing to me. To me. To me, alone. I played Rift from the first beta and it didn't immediately catch my attention. Yes, I loved the character creation - as I do in almost every game. But even as I progressed towards the end of the game, it was very stale. I know that SWTOR would have been the same way for myself. It's not like it will magically get amazing after the first 20 levels are crappy...

However, I am happy that some people like this game. I love BioWare as a company, but I wholeheartedly think they should have stuck with a DA MMO. God Dragon Age owns balls.

TBH, they should have stuck with NOT HAVING LOGIN QUEUES. They've been taking a lot of heat ont heir forums for that, but hey, it's 7PM and there's no queue today, so I guess that got fixed. weeeee \o/

Doogler

Legacy Supporter 2
I've been looking at servers, anyone know of a server with a high number of players, but not to crowded? Also im gonna be on the good side and dont want to be on a server in which I'm outnumberd 5 to 1

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
I've been looking at servers, anyone know of a server with a high number of players, but not to crowded? Also im gonna be on the good side and dont want to be on a server in which I'm outnumberd 5 to 1

The Progenitor usually has queue of up to 30min, which means it's hit it's cap but is not overpopulated. There are servers with a lower pop though, and even though the ratio of Republic/Empire is pretty balanced from what I heard, the Sith have been busting our asses in BG so far :p

Doogler

Legacy Supporter 2
The Progenitor usually has queue of up to 30min, which means it's hit it's cap but is not overpopulated. There are servers with a lower pop though, and even though the ratio of Republic/Empire is pretty balanced from what I heard, the Sith have been busting our asses in BG so far :p

I hate queues, I'm not a fan of waiting lol

xexorian

Admin ZeeZo
Retired Staff
Well my friend is currently the highest level sniper on the RP server. The storyline is ridiculously funny, hilarious, dramatic, etc. and best of all it's NARRATED. The whole game takes a whole new level on immersion when you actually take a moment to play the game for what it is. Most people are judgemental and tend to make comparisons critically without giving it long thought.

Also, the official graphics engine isn't released yet as of this posting. You are all seeing the beta graphics STILL.

So I've negated a few of your reasons for not playing, as for the third person thing, that's not really a make or break $ seller. I wouldn't and I'm sure thousands of players would agree that you wouldn't and shouldn't buy a game solely based on first person or third person perspective. If you're that picky, you should probably give up gaming.

Or to look at it another way, out of a hundred people I'd wager 98 of them would agree with my point above, and the other 2 (gamers in this example) would be OCD about it.

There havent been any real valid reasons to NOT play SWTOR because any comparison you guys have made is baseless so far. This is proved by 1) the graphics engine is still beta as of this writing, and 2) the entire gameplay is far different and mixes gameplay mechanics from mass effect, wow-like mmo's, and gears of war with a heavy focus on RPG elements which is why this is a great addition to the gameplay mechanics. 3) the entire storyline is unique to a very long extent and increases its replayability very very dynamically. You have a choice system and every dialogue option is completely voiced from what I have seen after preorder release. In no single way is this like or even akin to WoW's original game or even its expansions. With very few "Flashpoints" games call this, as quest hubs accumilate, like the Wrathgate experience. SWTOR is far superior in many engaging ways in this regard.

If you gave up after level 7, you haven't seen shit. You don't even get your 3rd NPC until you're around level 30. Also choice dependant and class dependant, I'd also remind you that the things you unlock are around infact, level 20, lol.. (as apherdite made a statement.)

I can't be completely concise as I've been watching my friend grind from 1 to 37 so far on the preorder server, the only other sniper operative being level 36 currently. Everything I've heard and seen him experience is different. Only the UI element is similar because it was designed to be familiar to engage gameplay easily. It works, why change the UI setup? EVE does that enough already if that's what truly entices you to play.

Also offtopic, EVE -IS- completely different than anything I've ever experienced in an MMOG. It is possibly the only way I even foresee doing an MMORPG style genre and even then, eve can have as much action as you want it to, or very little. Those choices rely on how you choose to play.

When wow originally cameout I played in its beta and trust me, it was a far far different experience than the SWTOR experience. I remember it clearly and fondly, I was a hardcore blizzard fan. Now? fuck that. They've botched the entire warcraft lore into a big stinking pile of shit. Everything is fucked up since the books and after Warcraft 3 TFT, the last good product Blizzard has made. I will digress a little, that SC2 is alright, but still. Even it's storyline saw tons of critics. Their new development team sucks and they've stated that most of the original WoW dev team has been working on Project Titan, but I no longer even hold the faintest hope for anything Blizzard does anymore as a gaming company. Activision has ruined them utterly. Diablo 3 is going to suck completely from my beta experiences as well. They've completely went back on the original discussions the devs had with the forum community following D3 prior to initial release and the blizzcon release of information. Every skill reminds me of rift's style, they all overlap and all the runes modify similar skills in the exact same way so there's only one real way to build your char, it's just which skill you want to use to do what. Which is BS. There's like a whole other can of worms I can open on that shit too.

POINT IS.

SWTOR > ANY other mmorpg on the market as of right now. By far. It has the most advanced features and up to date gameplay I've seen.

p.s.
#thatoneguywhosaidheplayedalotofmmorpg's
You never mentioned Age of Conan, so your list of mmorpg's seems fake to me. Being that it was one of the most visceral and engaging mmo's after wow has been out. Just riddled with bugs like Warhammer and died early on also like Vanguard.

pss.
huge post.