• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Star Wars The Old Republic

saprazzan

Stone
Played the beta for a bit. Was kinda fun, but felt way too much like WoW. Seems like the only thing holding it together is the story and voice acting. Otherwise, there isn't anything special about it.

I think I'll pass.

I always think it's funny when people say MMOs are "too much like WoW." You're just telling me you never played an MMO other than WoW.

WoW was just like SWG which was just like Everquest II which was just like EQ 1.

The biggest differences are in the story line. Mechanics vary to some extent as do art styles. But at the heart, you're still playing a character within some storyline, whose main goal is to level up and kill everything.

Seratt

Inquisitor Generalis
Founder
I always think it's funny when people say MMOs are "too much like WoW." You're just telling me you never played an MMO other than WoW.

WoW was just like SWG which was just like Everquest II which was just like EQ 1.

The biggest differences are in the story line. Mechanics vary to some extent as do art styles. But at the heart, you're still playing a character within some storyline, whose main goal is to level up and kill everything.
You're smoking crack.

saprazzan

Stone
I beg to differ, just look at the HUDs!

EQII:
EQ2_000048.jpg

SWG:
4li6ijg8m5koj8ul6znejxjw3s232gy52hak2qrouccek81q7n5plnmogoqh5pm68xq9niwiu9xefx5ll0b7xxvdmmvqbiwifmr45-800.jpg

WoW:
WoWScrnShot_051307_211223.png

SWToR:
Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-Wookies-600x367.jpg

saprazzan

Stone
It has a lot to do with everything! There are whole teams of every MMO to develop the UI. It's the most integral part to a player's experience! It's the first thing they interact with upon entering world. It drives usability of a game and is the thing every player interacts with the most.

I'm not saying it's the single most important feature, but it can certainly make or break a game.

And true, that isn't the default WoW interface, there are some addons. Default is more simple and similar to the rest.

I feel I've digressed...

Basically, from what I played in beta, ToR was great. The intro story lines were more interesting(although, I'm sure that has something to do with it just being Star Wars) and easier to follow than most other MMOs I've played.

Calling it "just like WoW" is pretty baseless and, I'd say, a rather untrue argument.

Seratt

Inquisitor Generalis
Founder
It has a lot to do with everything! There are whole teams of every MMO to develop the UI. It's the most integral part to a player's experience! It's the first thing they interact with upon entering world. It drives usability of a game and is the thing every player interacts with the most.

I'm not saying it's the single most important feature, but it can certainly make or break a game.

And true, that isn't the default WoW interface, there are some addons. Default is more simple and similar to the rest.

I feel I've digressed...

Basically, from what I played in beta, ToR was great. The intro story lines were more interesting(although, I'm sure that has something to do with it just being Star Wars) and easier to follow than most other MMOs I've played.

Calling it "just like WoW" is pretty baseless and, I'd say, a rather untrue argument.

So you base your gaming experience primarily on UIs and graphics?

saprazzan

Stone
I never said that. I argue that they are large parts of a gaming experience, yes, and not something to simply be dismissed; but if anything my point is pretty counter to your accusation(though I suppose my post about the UI is misleading).

My original post was about Audie claiming ToR was bad because it is too similar to WoW via graphics. I'm saying perhaps it is similar in ways via UI, graphics, etc., but most MMOs are similar in graphics and UI. ToR is great for its storyline, comprehensive voice acting and smooth game mechanics(at least from what I encountered, which admittedly was a small amount).

Apherdite

Queen Bee
The default interface for WoW and SWTOR are identical, except for placement of the minimap and chat bar. I've beta tested SWTOR a bit and it's WoW: Star Wars Edition. Seriously. I'm not impressed or interested. I am putting my money on Guild Wars 2 - or whatever Project Titan may end up being. Blizzard is obviously trying to put World of Warcraft out of it's misery with the ridiculous upcoming "expansion" - if you can call it that.

But Rift was the same way too... same level of ease, same repetitive grind... etc.etc. Who cares, people will still buy it and use it as a time sink. To each his own... whatever.

Sleaker

Retired Staff
Rift - had some minor innovations in how skilling up worked that didn't provide an enticing experience for me :( - As in skill trees didn't synergize at all and basically mirrored each other in a very blech way (in an effort to 'keep the balance' I imagine.) -

SW ToR is more like WoTLK imo and the direction Blizzard is taking WoW - is to have an underlying casual game with Hardcore end-game content that ends up pissing off a lot of their player base so I imagine it will continue down the casual game path.

I'm not sure I can say I'm really looking forward to any MMOs, Neverwinter MMO is being handled by Cryptic which is another trainwreck waiting to happen (the current DnD MMO is great anyway). I wasn't too big on GW, JumpGate is turning into Duke Forever, and there dont' seem to be any other interesting MMO ideas out there at the moment.

AudieMurphy135

Soulsand
You're just telling me you never played an MMO other than WoW.
Well, let's see here...

Earth and Beyond
EverQuest
EverQuest 2
Star Wars Galaxies
EVE Online
World of Warcrap
Anarchy Online
Fallen Earth
Guild Wars
Global Agenda
Lord of the Rings Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic beta
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Rift beta
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Planetside
Runes of Magic
The Sims Online
Face of Mankind beta
Second Life
Auto Assault
Planet Calypso
And a few others that I likely forgot.

Yep, I've only ever played WoW.

WoW was just like SWG
If you have ever played both of them, then you would know just how incredibly wrong that statement is.

My original post was about Audie claiming ToR was bad
I never said it was bad. TOR is a very mediocre game. It's fun to play, but doesn't really have much going for it. As others and myself have already mentioned, it's WoW - Star Wars edition.

saprazzan

Stone
Careful Audie, your e-peen is showing.

There's only so many ways to skin a cat. Crossover of concepts and systems is inevitable between any MMO. Obviously there are things that WoW was hugely successful at and Bioware would be pretty dumb not to follow some of the standards they set.

My biggest issue with WoW was story line and immersion. I could never get myself to reroll characters in WoW. Got to 60 then 80 and had a 2 or 3 characters that I couldn't play over 20 and even then I had to force myself to that point.

Granted, I didn't have the opportunity to fully grind a character and start over, but I played a bit of every class on ToR and they were all more immersive than anything other than my first WoW character.

Maybe you got to do more PvP and possibly got towards some endgame content in ToR. If that's the case then you've got a bit more to judge from. But I can't really imagine how you got to play enough to really compare content and end-game mechanics to that of WoWs

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
JumpGate is turning into Duke Forever
Turning?
Jumpgate has already been canned and devilfish is being sued for doing nothing for the past 3 years.

weynard

Legacy Supporter 8
Alright, I got early access yesterday, playing a Jedi Shadow on the EU server "The Progenitor". It's been very awesome (Already pissed some random people off by declining a mission reward for RP reasons, derp).
If any fellow EU citizens want to join me, feel free to.
BTW, The Yogscast EU guild is on that shard too, it's RP though, so be prepared.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
In my opinion this game is a reskinned WoW. This is after playing WoW for 4 years and this game for 2 days.

Good luck to those who do like it, whatever suits you. I'm waiting for a better game - that may or may not ever come.

Tyronus

Legacy Supporter 4
Well, let's see here...

Earth and Beyond
EverQuest
EverQuest 2
Star Wars Galaxies
EVE Online
World of Warcrap
Anarchy Online
Fallen Earth
Guild Wars
Global Agenda
Lord of the Rings Online
Star Wars: The Old Republic beta
Dungeons and Dragons Online
Rift beta
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
Planetside
Runes of Magic
The Sims Online
Face of Mankind beta
Second Life
Auto Assault
Planet Calypso
And a few others that I likely forgot.

Yep, I've only ever played WoW.

If you have ever played both of them, then you would know just how incredibly wrong that statement is.

I never said it was bad. TOR is a very mediocre game. It's fun to play, but doesn't really have much going for it. As others and myself have already mentioned, it's WoW - Star Wars edition.

Your forgot champions online.... lol and star trek online. thats ike all the mmos lol