• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

[It's back] Minecraft Version Switcher

Abyss

Air
Here is my custom version switcher for Minecraft. I made it specifically for my use, but decided to expand it a bit and allow it for others use.

It supports both mixcraft 32-bit HD pack and Zan's Minimap mod. Source is included (in Python, compiled with cx_Freeze)

If someone wants to take the time to make a better help file, I'd appreciate it. Just let me know. My email is in the README.txt

##############################################################
# HELP, I have no clue what to do!
#
# If you are a basic user and have no clue what to do, you are going to want
# to select the basic option for the version you wish to use. If you are from
# the Herocraft community wanting to use the old server, this will be the option
# labeled beta1.2_02.
#

# HELP, Minecraft updated, and now this ceases to work!
#
# If/when minecraft updates again, this will kind of break. After you update
# your client, it will work. But if you change versions without backing up the
# updated jar file, you will lose it and be unable to update without a bit of
# tweaking or reinstall. Essentially, if Minecraft updates, wait for the update
# to this. If you get ahold of the updated jar file, drop it in the jars folder
# and it should work perfectly fine with this program.
#
# If you don't understand the above - if Minecraft updates, DONT use this program
# just yet. Wait for an update.
#

WINDOWS
Download link: http://www.voidinput.com/media/mcswitcher.1.0.zip

MAC
I am looking for someone who can take a .py file and convert it to a .app or equivalent for mac.

WARNING: This script may not work without adding the +x flag to it. if you are familiar with command line, you need to run a chmod u+x "Minecraft Switcher.py" essentially, before you can run it. If you are an amateur user, this may not work for you.
Download link: http://www.voidinput.com/media/mac.mcswitcher.1.1.zip

Special thanks to Lucky for buying me my own Minecraft account. I can finally use a name that matches my forum name. I can now be found on Herocraft as RQTVAbyss

Abyss

Air
RE: Minecraft Version Switcher v1.0

Client download updated to include 1.2_02.1 jar file.

Minecraft updated today, though the version didn't change. I added the .1 to the end to signify this small revision.

I have no clue what changed, so I just included both the slightly old (but newer) jar, and the newest jar.

For those of you that updated today and downgraded using my program, you might want to update your mcswitcher so you have the most current version of the jars, because when you downgraded you likely wiped your most current jar file.

vrillusions

Legacy Supporter 3

how far along are you with having it just scan the jars folder? I'd work on it but I don't have 3.1 running anywhere.

Abyss

Air

It's been able to do that since the original release of v1.0. Just throw the jar of your choice into the jars folder, with name.jar, it'll show in the list without the .jar, alphabetically ordered.

Nifty, right? ;D

Abyss

Air

Client download updated to include 1.2_02 jar file.

For those of you that updated today and downgraded using my program, you might want to update your mcswitcher so you have the most current version of the jars, because when you downgraded you likely wiped your most current jar file.

Raetac

Legacy Supporter 4

Any ideas to patch the jar's to a different texture pack?

Ravebear

Air

You can put your own .jar files into the jars folder and they will be listed in the console, it doesn't matter what they're called or how many you have as long as they're in the right folder. So you could probably create a copy of the beta.1.1_02.jar file or the one with the minimap, give it a different name and then apply a texture pack as you would normally to your minecraft.jar file.

Open the .jar with something like winrar, then drag and drop the texture pack files into it, that will replace the existing files with new ones. Then you can use the .exe to select the file with your texture pack in and it will hopefully patch it to your game.

At least I reckon that would work... Abyss may know differently.

Abyss

Air

Ravebear is correct. Any jar can be put in there. patch your normal minecraft then drag your minecraft.jar (patched) over to the jars folder and name it what you like. It'll appear in the list.

OshKosch

Air

Ok I am not a moron, but I am having the hardest time figuring this out. I have a macbook. And I am not sure what to do with the file to switch back to 1.1 after I download it. When I open minecraftswitcher.exe, I just get a whole bunch of illegible text. When I open the jars and select the 1.1_02, it doesnt properly open. Am I missing something here?

Actually Kainzo, that older version you had posted before worked. You might wanna leave that one up for people with macs. It was very easy to understand and took me through a step-wise approach. I am not saying your's wasn't Abyss, but I am not sure if it was configured for mac use.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team

Ahh ... a macbook might operate a bit different than Windows setup.

I dont own one so I have no way of supporting it.

OshKosch

Air

Are there any converters that support mac? Or does anyone have any idea?

AfroDave

Legacy Supporter 3

Thanks for making this it's so easy to use! +1 rep for you

Edit: Just a side note it disabled zans minimap for me and I'm getting problems to get the minimap and downgrade to work together any suggestions?

Final

Dirt

is there any way you could make a java version for us mac users?

Abyss

Air

OshKosch said:
Are there any converters that support mac? Or does anyone have any idea?

See mac section I'm about to post, below, in this response.

AfroDave said:
Thanks for making this it's so easy to use! +1 rep for you

Edit: Just a side note it disabled zans minimap for me and I'm getting problems to get the minimap and downgrade to work together any suggestions?

I'm not sure. You might have to play with it. The easiest way, if selecting a Minimap option (which all use Zan's Minimap, cause it's superawesomebbq) doesn't work, then switch to the non-minimap version and then run Zan's installer on your minecraft.jar. Feel free to then copy your minecraft.jar back into the jars folder for the mcversionswitcher and it'll be an option (rename it to something easy for you to know, probably including your version number). All the program does is swaps jar files, so you can insert your own easily.

Try it out, let me know how that works out.

Final said:
is there any way you could make a java version for us mac users?

No, because the program isn't in Java, at all. Nor am I a giant fan of java, so I would hate to rewrite it. HOWEVER! Read below.

---------------------------------------------------------
FOR THE MAC USERS:

This program will -NOT- work for you, not now, and not for a couple days.
The jist of it is, well, it was compiled to a native Windows exe. Mac doesn't work the same way.

HOWEVER, DON'T FEAR!

I am looking for someone who is comfortable with programming languages of at least one kind (super kudos if it's Python), and has some basic knowledge of Mac file structures (and owns a mac to test this on).

If I get this person, I should easily be able to create this as a python script for Mac, since Python is natively supported by most macs and doesn't need to be compiled. If you're interested in this, post here, or find me in the IRC, or something. If I feel you have the ability, we'll probably work together to get this working for mac (if the src doesn't work directly, which might be the case, dunno how versatile the os library is for mac on python.)

ZELLIS

Banned

I'm in the process of learning python (novice atm) but I am on a mac. I'll look at it and see if I can help.