• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Good Grief - see what i did there?

GraRona

Portal
I actually agree with this. I remember when I played on servers that didn't have such tight griefing rules as herocraft. I would pluck out whatever blocks I could from any structures I found. When I was new to one server, I griefed torches thinking that I was being resourceful. I would destroy mossy blocks, record players and anything that seemed valuable. When I came to herocraft, I started griefing a wall made out of snow blocks thinking that I could take the snow and sell it for a good price. When somebody walked by and told me to replace it, I only then realized how strict the rules are on herocraft. My second incident was when I raided a future town. I killed the person and got his loot. He came back and tried to kill me but I started to win the fight and he ran away while simultaneously placing dirt blocks to break my sprint. I had a shovel on me and I started destroying the dirt and he starts shouting at me for GRIEFING. I replace the blocks while he flees to this huge tower he has. The only way to get to the tower was to climb up multiple sets of ladders. I start climbing up the ladders and he starts pouring buckets of water down on me in an attempt to slow my climb. The water started to push me off of the ladders and since I was at low health I was sure I would die of fall damage. I placed two blocks of cobble on top of me to divert the water flow. Then, I went up the ladder and killed him one more time. He comes back and tells me I griefed his tower. I was dumbfounded. I placed two cobble blocks and he threatens me for griefing. I delete the cobble blocks and then he tells me I destroyed a ladder. I look back and sure enough one ladder block is gone. However, this was the bottom ladder which meant that he could've still jumped and climbed. I had to stay behind, chop down some wood and then create a ladder just to avoid getting ped.

The meaning is, that people shouldn't bitch about two blocks being placed or deleted on their property. Also, griefing shouldn't mean placing two unnecessary blocks on someone's property.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
I had a shovel on me and I started destroying the dirt and he starts shouting at me for GRIEFING. I replace the blocks while he flees to this huge tower he has.
That's a pvp tactic I use, talk to the player and see if they start to type, then gank them. Obviously that wasn't what he was doing... but just a random thing I wanted to say :p

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Your south rail line runs right through it. Whenever I see the rail going through it, it makes me think there is a never ending train running into the tower.

RedKhan

Soulsand
People that minor grief can't have strikes chalked up against them if staff aren't informed so they can come check the scene.
A combo of reporting griefing and removing people who repeatedly grief; regardless of the scale would make this a non issue except when it comes to new players.

Alternatively, allow the destruction of non safe guarded property!?!

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
This is actually an interesting subject- On one hand I'm willing to agree with the original premise- that some people try to abuse the anti-grief rules, particularly in cases like Granola's story. Such instances go against the intent of the rules and I'd say in cases like that, punishment more befits those who "cry wolf", than the wolf itself. Someone drops a dirt block to make a jump or something? Just destroy it, it's not that big of a deal.

On the other hand, however, if you use such blocks to get out of traps and leave them behind, you're now defeating the purpose of said trap, and that would qualify as less of a minor grief in that point. While a single dirt block or several here or there would not seem to be a major grief because the "victim" could easily remove it, those same blocks can be just as easily removed by the offender. On top of that, very recently one of my structures has come under multiple minor griefs- a couple smooth replaced with cobble, a block of wool stolen, lava spilt, fires put out. Not all at once, mind you, but even though they were all relatively easy fixes, it starts to wear on you, you know? It's getting to the point where next time I'm going to need to report even the slightest thing in hopes that the offender is the same person, and I could finally have all these small things stop adding up. If people do grief, even minor ones and continue to get away with it, there's a good chance it'll only get worse and worse, unless they are warned. That's why I believe that it's more important to /pe for the small stuff, even if you must fix it yourself (in fact I prefer this, I don't want compensation, just consequence), as at least then we'll have made progress against griefers, and with any luck we'll have one less thing to worry about.

Xanipher

Tea & Bacon
Retired Staff
Honestly, I don't really mind checking out the small griefs. The map gets kind of messy, and if one person breaks 2 blocks on a house, then another user comes by and does it and so on and on then it gets out of hand. Small griefs we do ask the player to fix themselves.

We do note all griefs but the small ones such as two blocks etc get a "No warning/minor" tag. If it continues it could escalate though depending on severity and quantity. There is a lot of paperwork involved behind the scenes, so it is a fair amount of work during peak times.

I believe in our system, though its not perfect. We want to maintain the server as best we can. I bet you can tell now, this map is getting pretty messy, griefed wild houses, abandoned structures etc. We have to maintain a balance between justice and freedom. The users being griefed get pretty upset and demand things be done about it, so we have to be as diplomatic as possible and make that user satisfied with the action being taken. On the other hand we have the people that like to raid, pvp and steal. Which is fine, and we try to incorporate ways for them to enjoy those things.

We do the best we can because we care about this community. Our user base is large and diverse, so of course we can't cater directly to one group or the other.

Gezzy

Stone
I usually only /pe minor things if it starts getting out of hand. For example, last week before we received township rights, we would usually have 3 or so different small griefs a day ( lift signs being broken, random holes in our wall ) and I thought that it was no big deal. That was until I started being raided almost hourly and started having more and more minor griefs done. Had I not been distracted by trying to defend my "easily fixable castle" (because it was not at the time), I probably wouldn't have /pe'd it. When I did, I added an addendum to the later petitions asking if I could give them a friggin' tour of the griefs. Yeah, minor griefs aren't much, but when you have 5+ random little griefs around your home when you're busy trying to make it look nice and recruit cits, it gets a little stupid. I do agree that /pe-ing every last little dirt block destroyed in a 100 block radius of your home is asinine, but it gets to the point where the offenders should honestly know better, and be smarter about things that they build or destroy around things that aren't theirs. It's not really fair to justify the adding on to or the destruction of someone else's creation without their permission, no matter how big or small, but at the same time, if I'm missing 1 torch out of 30 in my wheat farm, I'm not going to be petitioning that.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
I dont think you can relate this to real life, megan, this is minecraft. Our rules state we are allowed to ban some one for practically nothing (not meshing). How do you think that law would pass over in the real world? It wouldn't. Chaos would unfold. Relating to times like during the French Revolution, people were executed for pretty much doing nothing.

Obviously, the "not meshing well" case is not a common factor, and the staff is very fair when it comes to appealing and weighing bans based on severity. But the fact that we have a community that the staff can easily moderate with the /pe system allows us to ban these people with good reason. In the real world, if someone burns down a house, there arent records that showed who burned it down. In the real world, people obviously cant place traps on their property to kill trespassers, that's just unheardof and against the law (i would assume XD).

TL;DR This is minecraft, not the real world, they are completely different in a variety of obvious ways.
actually witch hunts were performed on people who did not "mesh" and were either killed or outcast if they were found to not be able to co-exist with the community.

whitemagehealu

Legacy Supporter 7
actually witch hunts were performed on people who did not "mesh" and were either killed or outcast if they were found to not be able to co-exist with the community.

Accusations of witchcraft was mostly due to people not liking someone else. You have some land and want more? Accuse your neighbor of witchcraft and get them either hanged if they plead not guilty or sent to jail if they plead guilt.

Punisher79

Support the Death Penalty
Legacy Supporter 5
Xanipher has it right, 100%.

As STAFF we will ALWAYS take every griefing incident seriously. Please, if you believe the incident in which you were griefed warrents creating a PE, please do not hesitate to do so.

Be it known, however, that there are a surpising amount of players out there that PE 1x1 "griefs". To paraphrase Megan's post, the term griefing can/should be best generally described as "malicious intent to deface/destroy". Its hard to justify a warning to someone that left behind a 1x1 block, being as it took the petitioner longer to create the PE, than it would have taken them to correct the "grief" themselves; but on the same note, WE WANT TO KNOW who is repeatedly out there not cleaning up after themselves.

Staff has been consistant in dealing with griefers. The system currently in place allows for efficient communication between all staff members, and is truely an effective tool that Admins/Mods use daily. Just because you dont see the behind the scenes actions of Staff, doesn't mean that nothing is done about it. Those that are in the know understand the enormous amount of work involving answering Petitions.

We (Staff) know all, and see all. :D Those that choose to bend the rules in their favor will be Punished.

Jinder745

Obsidian
In my experience, this immature behavior has also continued into pvp. Whether it's in the form of a vendetta or gloating in o chat, immature people are ruining the experience.

Me and my town have been at war with jinder, shrimpy, and the rest of the people that hang out with them for quite a while, because way back when, jinder was kicked from town due to breaking a town rule, shrimpy went crazy in the town chat and was also kicked, and I believe zachy also joined shrimpy in fussing over jinder's kick.

We've been fighting ever since, and we had a large battle last night. At one point shrimpy was bragging that "I didn't even have to use bladegrasp." You don't have to fucking make it public to everyone...

The only way to end immaturity is with maturity, I agree with you completely Megan and endorse both my statement and yours.
Zaspar I understand how you think our " Sexual spam" was immature But we did it once no need to take this to the fourms. I also admit to saying your bad at pvp with others just cause we won but really is a fourm post nessasarry.

GraRona

Portal
Jinder, the forums is the place where complaining is accepted so I see nothing wrong against Zaspar's post.

RedKhan

Soulsand
I'd say complaints and suggestions are absolutely a forum thing, you aren't going to get any constructive feedback or change by doing it in the chat channels.

Aerokii

Legacy Supporter 8
By all means, I believe that if you're going to complain anywhere, the forum is the best place to do it, as it's a lot easier to ignore spam by just not reading a post than it is to try and ignore/or be forced to leave o chat. Likewise is it less likely to get missed by those who should actually be reading it if the complaint is legitimate.

At the same time, let's try and stay on topic about griefing.

RedKhan

Soulsand
Griefs should be reported, no matter the scale. If not for them to be fixed, then for the griefers name to be taken down.

Report them, help enforce the rules.