• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Good Grief - see what i did there?

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
Too often players are playing tattletale sissies trying to pick at each other and get people in trouble over "griefing". I would like everyone to sit back and actually consider what "griefing" is, and what being a punk sissy no life 12 year old is.

To me, griefing is purposefully destroying or defacing something with the intent to cause grief to others. It is the intent that makes it so. A spilt lava bucket, a giant hole in the wall, entire houses destroyed to the point where they are no longer livibly safe, etc. Such actions go beyond roleplaying as someone evil and attacking, and turn into a punk sissy 12 year old that just wants to annoy and piss people off.

What I do not consider griefing, would be mistakes or acts to save one's self. I like to roleplay on roleplay servers and pretend it's its own world and my character is living in it. There are a few examples I would like to bring to attention of the difference of grief and of simply living in a community.
-If I'm walking my dog and I fall into a ditch someone built around their private property that I was walking on while admiring their house - I'm not going to call the police for help and sit in the ditch until someone finds me just because it's private property - I'm gonna do whatever I need to do to get out! Same effect in minecraft. If someone builds a moat that I get stuck in, and I have build rights, I'm gonna make some stairs to escape and do the community a favor by letting them escape too. I believe that the person who made the ditch is actually the griefer - trying to cause other players grief by trapping them in a hole and then trying to report them for escaping just to make their lives miserable. If they don't like that players are playing the game and walking out of their ditch, they can reset the trap by destroying the stairs again.​
-In the medieval ages, during wars, when people came to raid castles, they punched holes in walls, made makeshift bridges, and did what they had to do to get in. Now it would be nice if they would come back after they were just slaughtered during a war and repair the damages, but this is war people! If someone builds a giant friggin wall, they should expect attacking forces to make these things, and they should expect to have to clean up the perameter to keep it safe. It's like how a farmer always goes out to fix his fences. Now while this may not be real life or war in the medieval ages, and enemy forces have an opportunity to clean their messes - and should - but it is in my own personal opinion that being a punk sissy 12 year old that tattles over a sand block being replaced with a dirt block during war is just an immature brat that needs a backhandslap. They're fighting! Survival takes priority over repairing damages made to break in at the moment. Sometimes people don't have time to fix things with arrows being shot at them, and sometimes they forget to come back and fix it after they die. Death has a tendancy of making people not be able to do what they intended to do. You people keep spouting the me-me about how there aren't any girls online, well then suck it up and be a man and stop whining more than I do.​
-On the flip side however: if someone comes across a house in the wild, punches a hole through the wall to steal things and makes a makeshift ladder out of dirt to search other floors for goods, and then just leaves the house as a disaster with all their filth they made for the owner clean up after he counts his losses when he comes home is just dumb. A good thief never gets caught, and hardly leaves a trace that he was ever there. The thief is not in war, is not being attacked, and has no excuse not to clean up after themself except for the fact that ur a lazy punk sissy 12 year old that wants to just give someone a hard time - griefing.​

It is the intent and the situation that depend on what is and is not grief. Instead of trying to find excuses to whine, man up and do what you know you should do.
-if you live in a town, expect to get raided, and expect to have to clean up, but report any major structures made with the intent to grief. They wouldn't make giant pillars if you opened the door to fight honorably, and they made themselves vulnerable by making makeshift ways in.​
-if someone has built a ladder to get out of your trap, fix the trap, improve it so it does its job and kills them, and then move on. Technically, you're the griefer and not them, so stop whining.​
-if someone forgot to fill a gap with wood, dirt, sand, or any other sissy block - do it yourself! its not a big deal! the admin team has bigger fish to fry than to babysit some punk sissy 12 year old.​

Man up! stop being sissies! and stop abusing rules to get people in trouble! Rules are the basic statistics of which we govern and punish people, but there are excuses and situations to justify the breaking of each, including murder. If there was no mal intent with griefing and its not that hard to fix, dont be a punk sissy 12 year old - do it urself and move on.

Brutalacerate

AdministRaper
This hits home with Staff...

I am sick and tired of going to a Petition for someone's property being Griefed. Why? Well...lately I've been literally fixing the damage with a few smacks with my Super Pick. That's just sad. If someone placed 2 blocks to get onto your Roof and didn't remove them....well...although I WILL discourage the action and have a word with the player who did so, please, practice fixing it yourself, it's only a few blocks.

When someone makes a habit of Griefing or damages something to a "Griefing" extent, I will handle them, but please, use your best judgement before Petitioning.

I agree 100% with what MeganPerk has posted. It's gotten kind of ridiculous lately...

Zaspar

Legacy Supporter 2
In my experience, this immature behavior has also continued into pvp. Whether it's in the form of a vendetta or gloating in o chat, immature people are ruining the experience.

Me and my town have been at war with jinder, shrimpy, and the rest of the people that hang out with them for quite a while, because way back when, jinder was kicked from town due to breaking a town rule, shrimpy went crazy in the town chat and was also kicked, and I believe zachy also joined shrimpy in fussing over jinder's kick.

We've been fighting ever since, and we had a large battle last night. At one point shrimpy was bragging that "I didn't even have to use bladegrasp." You don't have to fucking make it public to everyone...

The only way to end immaturity is with maturity, I agree with you completely Megan and endorse both my statement and yours.

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
Even before I was a Mod, most of you know my location was a haven for multiple griefs a day.

I tried not to report them unless they were the same person over and over, or a major item.

the old adage still sticks "If it takes you as long to Fix it as it does to file a PE then just fix it"

that being said I will still come to a silly one block grief if you request, but please understand
the amount of PE's the staff tries to do each day. and use common sense...

Howdanrocks

Legacy Supporter 4
-If I'm walking my dog and I fall into a ditch someone built around their private property that I was walking on while admiring their house - I'm not going to call the police for help and sit in the ditch until someone finds me just because it's private property - I'm gonna do whatever I need to do to get out! Same effect in minecraft. If someone builds a moat that I get stuck in, and I have build rights, I'm gonna make some stairs to escape and do the community a favor by letting them escape too. I believe that the person who made the ditch is actually the griefer - trying to cause other players grief by trapping them in a hole and then trying to report them for escaping just to make their lives miserable. If they don't like that players are playing the game and walking out of their ditch, they can reset the trap by destroying the stairs again.

I heavily disagree with this. It isn't possible to notice a giant fuckin hole around a building. You fall in it? Make a staircase but REMOVE it. It only takes another, what? 10 seconds to get rid of it?

I know that staff gets tons of PE's a day but people will never learn that what they are doing is punishable if they aren't punished. We have rules here, follow them or get out. Rules need to be enforced and shown that it is in fact a rule and not a "guideline" that you should follow.

Shortyy_oD

Legacy Supporter 3
I have been in many of these situations. They bring nothing but annoyance to everyone involved. Thanks Megan.

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
I just think that minor griefs are still griefs, and although some may be easily repaired, the griefer should definitely be warned. Not many of you might remember, but on Sanctum I was temporarily unwhitelisted for accidentally spilling water onto minecart tracks, that could've easily been fixed by the creator. I received no warning, and wasn't told why I was taken off the whitelist until after I was re-whitelisted.

To be honest, I liked that the staff showed how they don't take bullshit from any griefer, minor or major. Something like what I got banned for would most likely grant the player a warning at the most nowadays. Never see that kind of stand taken anymore. I understand why small griefs would be not be considered "./pe-able" but it bothers me when I think about how the common saying went from "/pe it! Just in case!" to "Don't /pe it if you can fix it faster than you can make the petition."

I'm not trying to berate the staff in any way, but sometimes I miss the level of authority staff dangled over every single player's head. Players who lurked in the shadows and did things like grief, xray, etc, were weeded out in the knick of time. But as you can see, players like Tigo got away with that shit and we didn't catch it until late.

Airbus101

Legacy Supporter 7
As I always said I will still come to anyone grief that requests, without a second thought.

I'm just saying if you feel you can fill in the 1x1 hole and not really care then I can spend more time looking for the crack dealers.

SaberStone

Legacy Supporter 2
@MeganPerks
Thanks for spending your time on rwriting this post. I've been thinking about writing it myself. I definitely agree
w/ you on this one. However if you fall into a ditch like you stated and make a stairway up, I think you should
patch up the staircase you made. (Not specifically you) Not the creators fault he/she chose to fall in a hole.
Admins/mods have more worthwhile things to do than help some guy out of a ditch or as Airbus says, fix up a 1x1 hole.

Diffuse

Legacy Supporter 4
Griefing is griefing no matter how minor. The fact that it causes staff annoyance should not be a reason to ignore the breaking of rules no matter how minor. You people complain that it is not hard to fix the shit you leave behind up but you refuse to do it yourselves. You need to stop whining about people whining about you breaking the rules and do what you tell them to do because it is your responsibility. Nobody has a problem with pillaring into towns, just break the goddamn pillar yourself, it is not hard at all. When you create something to get somewhere patch it up, its just as easy for you as it is for the person getting griefed.

The staff say that because it is so little they shouldn't need to deal with it. The people who do small griefs say that because it is so little they shouldn't need to deal with it. It is the griefers job to fix the shit they leave and the staff's job to deal with the people who do grief. It seems to me like the griefer isn't doing their job and staff dislikes doing theirs to the point where they are telling people to not pe it. Accepting a position where you need to deal with these things should mean you are ready to deal with all the bullshit no matter how small. It seems like people are happy to just pass the responsibility which ultimately means the person who has already been attacked or stolen from also has to do the job of the griefer or staff.

I do not mean for this post to say that staff are not doing their job, but I believe that it is flawed logic to think that small instances of griefing is fine.

MeganPerk

Legacy Supporter 6
I do not mean for this post to say that staff are not doing their job, but I believe that it is flawed logic to think that small instances of griefing is fine.

no instance of griefing is fine. But we must also fall back to what griefing is and to what being a "royal pain in the butt tattletale" is. Sometimes mistakes happen or circumstances call for an urgent escape before you can fix the problem at hand. I don't have children, but I see this happen many times with my sister and her husband with their children. I am not saying that griefing should be allowed by any means. I do however believe that people on the server should start to grow up and not throw fits over small things and expect the staff to baby sit them.

The same can be said for speeding in a car. While speeding is dangerous and people should be more mature and plan ahead, sometimes people are late and just need to drive a little faster. Is it bad? yes. But, there are other people on the road who have thair radios blaring and are going 100mph with their middle finger out the window at all the cars they pass. Why annoy the police over the mother that's late to pick their kids up from school driving 66 in a 60 road when we could let them catch the drunk idiot flipping everyone off? While speeding shouldn't happen, sometimes it does and I think that if its nothing big and nobody's hurt - you shouldn't throw a fit over it, but I know some people just enjoy throwing fits and using every opportunity they can to waste people time, make a scene, and throw a tantrum because somebody's dog pooped on their lawn. I don't understand why the police need to be called and trespassing charges made against the pooping dog and forcing the police to remove the poop from your lawn when you can just run it over with the lawn mower come friday and nobody notices.

(I also think that diffuse is only ragin in my post cause he got squished by one of my traps while feeling like he's a top pvper on ther server and wants to make himself look tough still. Just my opinion.)

GreekCrackShot

Legacy Supporter 7
I dont think you can relate this to real life, megan, this is minecraft. Our rules state we are allowed to ban some one for practically nothing (not meshing). How do you think that law would pass over in the real world? It wouldn't. Chaos would unfold. Relating to times like during the French Revolution, people were executed for pretty much doing nothing.

Obviously, the "not meshing well" case is not a common factor, and the staff is very fair when it comes to appealing and weighing bans based on severity. But the fact that we have a community that the staff can easily moderate with the /pe system allows us to ban these people with good reason. In the real world, if someone burns down a house, there arent records that showed who burned it down. In the real world, people obviously cant place traps on their property to kill trespassers, that's just unheardof and against the law (i would assume XD).

TL;DR This is minecraft, not the real world, they are completely different in a variety of obvious ways.