• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Community Input: Potions

Who should be able to USE potions? (note this means USE not create - alchemist will create them)

• Total voters

c12095

Holy Shit!
Could potions be lowered severly for anyone who is not an alchemist? I think that would allow he economic aspect without allowing them to be full power for everyone.

Asunsao

Legacy Supporter 4
I would suggest that potion be use buy anyone. But alchemists have more ability to use them.
i.e.: the effect is greater than non alchy class and/or the cooldown (if one to prevent abuse in fight) would be less.

Edit : C12 beat me to it.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
Could potions be lowered severly for anyone who is not an alchemist? I think that would allow he economic aspect without allowing them to be full power for everyone.
That isnt possible unfortunately there is no 'potency' that you're asking for.

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
My opinion changed a little bit.

If we restrict potions to Alchemist, that gives us a Profession with an edge in combat. Wasn't that undesirable?
If we restrict them to mastered specs, only a minority can use them. This keeps potions from selling well, but cuts down on frequent use.
If we restrict them to new specs and above, newbies can't access them whereas many of their friends and enemies probably could.
If we don't restrict them at all, everybody is on a technically even playing field. Of course, by giving everybody the opportunity to specialize the field is "technically even" in the first place.

What about this: Secondary potions (basic effect potions) can be used by everybody from the start, but tertiary potions (potions with redstone or glowstone, or splash potions) are spec-only.
This way all potions have a market, and all classes can get some usage of out of the potion system while still leaving the best for people who really dig into Heroes. I don't think it would do to remove a whole gameplay element from basic Minecraft.

Psychokhaos

Legacy Supporter 3
If we restrict potions to Alchemist, that gives us a Profession with an edge in combat. Wasn't that undesirable?
If we restrict them to mastered specs, only a minority can use them. This keeps potions from selling well, but cuts down on frequent use.
If we restrict them to new specs and above, newbies can't access them whereas many of their friends and enemies probably could.
If we don't restrict them at all, everybody is on a technically even playing field. Of course, by giving everybody the opportunity to specialize the field is "technically even" in the first place.

What about this: Secondary potions (basic effect potions) can be used by everybody from the start, but tertiary potions (potions with redstone, glowstone, or splash potions) are spec-only.
That gives me an idea;

• Basic Paths:
    • Access to "basic" potions, only affecting yourself
  • Specializations:
    • Access to splash potions in addition to "basic" potions
  • Alchemists:
    • Access to potions with increased potency and/or time, along with splash potions and "basic" potions
EDIT: @Kainzo , what do you think of this system?

Dazureus

Legacy Supporter 4
That gives me an idea;

• Basic Paths:
    • Access to "basic" potions, only affecting yourself
  • Specializations:
    • Access to splash potions in addition to "basic" potions
  • Alchemists:
    • Access to potions with increased potency and/or time, along with splash potions and "basic" potions
Personally, I don't feel comfortable restricting any specific potion to Alchemists only. Alchies are going to be the only source of all of these anyway and will have them more readily than anybody else. But maybe tying their use to Professions would be a good move, if it was distributed evenly.

Revision 2:
  • Paths/Crafter: Basic/Secondary Potions
  • Specializations OR any Profession: Tertiary Potions
  • Alchemists: Brews potions
Beyond that, if we wanted to add something totally different to Alchemists to up their value, what about new Cauldron recipes? Miscellaneous luxury items like Mycelium, Huge Mushroom blocks, Ferns, and a cheaper recipe for ice (now that we have water bottles).

Also, what's the current plan for mana potions? Are we just planning to use something like Mundane Potions for that?

Thunderjolt

Legacy Supporter 4
As a budding alchemist I believe that these potions should be available to all. It just makes sense to me economically. Imagine if Enchanters were the only ones to be able to use magical equipment, I know lots of us would be disappointed, as for OP I hear knockback + fire aspect comes pretty close.

What better way to level the playing field, and stimulate the economy at the same time than making potions available for everyone to use.

Thoughts? Comments?

kperkins1982

Max Legacy Supporter
Alchemist is a profession, restricting it to them sorta turns them into a pvp class, but also, it restricts the coin they can make by selling said potions, it'd be like if only they could use the chainmail they create

I think the bigger picture here, is that the potions are not OP. If you read the minecraft wiki there are some that would pretty much ruin pvp and come down to who can hold them,

as long as Kainzo and sleaker and folks restrict the potions to ones that don't throw off the balance too much I don't see a problem with everybody being able to have them.

Having said that, it'd be like an arms race

so and so brings potions to every fight so now I have to so I'm on the same playing field.

TLDR Potions are ok if I'm the only one able to use them on the server :) , otherwise I hope they are nerfed some

Heres my opinion. If you keep it where alchemists can only use them then don't change anything. If it gets set to anyone then give alchemists some sort of spell that helps with crafting them . For example give them a conjure akward potion that has a 5-10min cooldown or something.

ezmac

ICE ICE ICE!
Either spec'ed classes or Everyone

Giving to much power to Alchemist may be a problem

Plus Who would buy a potion from Alchemist if only Alchemist could use them? Alchmist can make more money with option 1 anc 2, but won't be able to sell anything with option 3.

Make it so that only Alchemist can craft them but only specs or everyone can use them.

Everyone should be allowed to use them once they get to a high enough level, but there should be limits to things like splash to healers if they have healing properties and maybe some to other classes?

Everyone should be able to use regular self potions though.

SlurpDurp

Dirt
As long as Alchemists are the only people allowed to brew them, they could sell them to everyone, and everyone could use them.