• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

Change the crafter classes to professions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
The title isn't very descriptive, but the idea is to add professions in addition to the class you pick. So you can pick Samurai for class and Alchemist for profession, or Thief for class and Mason for profession.

The reason I'm suggesting this is because it kinda sucks having to choose between being useful in PvP and raids and being able to make things like lifts and chest shops.

What does everybody else think about this?

Demonxman

Obsidian
a unique idea but I think the crafters in the server would be a bit mad they had to master a spec that will soon mean nothing when they make it like what you suggest. :) compensation may change their minds though.

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
a unique idea but I think the crafters in the server would be a bit mad they had to master a spec that will soon mean nothing when they make it like what you suggest. :) compensation may change their minds though.

Yeah I hadn't really thought of that. Well, we could just let them pick a new class starting at level 1 but transfer the level they acquired in the crafter class into their new crafting profession.

Merikku

Legacy Supporter 6
I think thats a good idea personally. Thats how it usually is in RPG's.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
I think thats a good idea personally. Thats how it usually is in RPG's.
Herocraft isn't your regular RPG ;)

In the G Minecraft, we have the opportunity to have P'ers P R's that have nothing to do with combat, and still be important parts of the gameplay with no losses in the P'ers' ability to interact with the G environment. That's not something you get in "usual" RPG's!

R3xz

Glowstone
I have suggested this many times in the past but it got shot down many times.

I haven't had what i thought was a good argument against it though with the exception that a lot of crafters will be mad or that it waste the crafter's time for nothing. The problem is though i haven't really gotten a response from an actual hardcore crafter about this, so i really don't know what the crafters of minecraft want. They do get pick on all the time, but i guess it's worth it for them to get crafter abilities that no one else have.

If it weren't for crafters being gimp against other classes i'd pick them from day one. I love to build but I'm also a very logical guy when it come to class customization and getting the best out of a character in an open PvP world, picked rogue for survivability and that was what saved my life and time for a very long time in herocraft. (i've only been killed in legitimate PvP about like 5 or times ever, good at avoiding unnecessary combat)

R3xz

Glowstone
Well, your opinion is appreciated Doreagarde. I just want the voice of the crafters to be heard more on this matter, thats all. :)

If it doesn't work out we could always make crafters be more useful offensively, so that they won't be kicked around as much and play a much better role at assisting an offensive or defensive force in battle.

I've been cooking up some new crafter ideas lately that could potentially enhance their value in combat/battle/war situations. Maybe not entirely direct combat but a lot of ideas that would make crafters an invaluable asset to a group's damage output and utility access in time of battle. Duno if i wanna be too ambitious with these ideas though.

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
Well, your opinion is appreciated Doreagarde. I just want the voice of the crafters to be heard more on this matter, thats all. :)

If it doesn't work out we could always make crafters be more useful offensively, so that they won't be kicked around as much and play a much better role at assisting an offensive or defensive force in battle.

I've been cooking up some new crafter ideas lately that could potentially enhance their value in combat/battle/war situations. Maybe not entirely direct combat but a lot of ideas that would make crafters an invaluable asset to a group's damage output and utility access in time of battle. Duno if i wanna be too ambitious with these ideas though.
Haha, you didn't really hurt my feelings. It's just a post on a forum about a game.

For reals, though, Minecraft of course isn't all PvP, and neither is Herocraft, really. Some players don't want to fight, ever (e.g. me), and the crafter classes enable pacifist behaviour while still allowing those players to be contributing parts of the community. If I were a crafter, I wouldn't want my class to become a "secondary profession", not because I'd be upset that my playtime was wasted (barring some kind of XP exchange), but because I wouldn't want to beat my plowshares into swords. It doesn't "[suck to have] to choose between being useful in PvP and raids and being able to make things like lifts and chest shops", it's an meaningful part of Herocraft that you and I haven't really seen before in any other game!

Edit: In conclusion, if you think that at some point you'll want to fight a guy, crafter classes were never intended for you.

R3xz

Glowstone
Crafter don't need to really fight anyone directly but they could atleast be useful offensively and defensively in a combat situation. And i'm thinking of stuff that have to do with building and structures in the game. Could be pretty interesting.

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
We have little interest in having 'professions' - the code at the moment doesn't support that methodology.
Could it happen? yes
Will it happen soon? no

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
Edit: In conclusion, if you think that at some point you'll want to fight a guy, crafter classes were never intended for you.

It's not about wanting to fight a guy, it's about having to defend yourself. On the old map I only PVPed one guy in the 3 months I played there, and I felt guilty after I killed him. On the new map, my town gets attacked seemingly daily and I feel useless when we do :p

Rofii

Legacy Supporter 7
I don't mean to necro a 4 year old thread, but it seems like my idea was implemented at some point during my time away from herocraft :)

Pretty excited about this! I guess it's time for me to give the Heroes mod a second chance...

Status
Not open for further replies.