• Guest, HEROCRAFT PUBLIC RELEASE IS HAPPENING AN HOUR EARLIER! TONIGHT @ 7PM CST GET READY FOR IT! play.hc.to
    Read up on the guides and new systems! Here.
    View the LIVE Map here @ hc.to/map
    Stuck or have a problem? use "/pe create" to to open a ticket with staff (There are some known issues and other hotfixes we will be pushing asap)
  • Guest, Make sure to use our LAUNCHER! Read more here!

any unwritten rules you're not sure about? just ask!

Doreagarde

Legacy Supporter 5
I guess I just want to confirm that using anti-grief rules to protect your chest will not get your items refunded, even if your plan "works" and the user gets banned.

This is true, you won't be refunded, but absolutely can you send a /pe and the thief will be dealt with appropriately. There is no "2-block rule" on this server; don't believe it. I've said it before: good catburglars, when on the prowl, will carry all sorts of nifty blocks with them (glass, ice, leaves, grass, etc.) so they're ready for this just this sort of thing.

Also note - you can only buy up to 50R if its a hamlet - the other area will be contested
This was posted on an auction for land in the Trade forum. It brings up an interesting question. I can build a structure in the wilderness and sell the land, because it's been "claimed" by my structure. This happened on the Zeal map; I built an enormous glass dome the size of a town and Acars sold it. Others moved in (dmil23?) and developed it and built a town. This was larger than 50R.

So my first reaction would be to disregard what Kainzo posted above (bear with me here). Because if I build something in the wilderness, it is protected by anti-grief laws. One example would be if I build a road. 10x2000 blocks, all protected by anti-grief laws (right?) even though it's larger than 50R. But there's a couple reasons why I agree with what Kain said. First of all, he's the founder, and what he says goes no matter what I think (thank you for bearing with me). Second of all, without that rule, I could build a 100R glass dome from bedrock to sky level, taking up more of the map then is really fair for just one person.

Finally, get to the Question, Eisbaer!

Is there a limit to the area that a person can claim for their wilderness structure? Can I make a large 50R structure for myself (for example, maybe I "need" that area for farming, or to show off my architectural skills)? Or should personal structures have a smaller limitation, like 25R? If you share the structure with a friend, does that bump the limit up to 30R?

Dang, now I really want to go build a 100R glass dome in the middle of the Ocean... -_-'

Kainzo

The Disposable Hero
Staff member
Founder
Adventure Team
50R was inregards to an actual hamlet / protected area of land - not an unprotected/settled area of land.
This is a grey area and the rules havent been 100% - obviously we dont want people running around saynig "OOOPS claimed and now you cant haves it!" and then later trying to sell it for profit.

I've never thought anyone was stupid enough to sell plain land; I assumed that people were really selling the structure they built ON said land. Aurum isn't an official hamlet, and has no protected land. So Iarbobray isn't really selling the stone and the dirt and the air in that area, he's selling the work that was put into it. Apparently they've already dug out a basic outline of a city, and it's that outline that he's really selling. (outline for a city = a lot of work)

I interpreted what you said as a warning/reminder that the buyer would not have protection over all the land because a hamlet would only protect 50R of it. But you thought it was an actual hamlet (right?). Does this mean that we can't build structures (or dig layouts) and sell them? Are you against the example I gave from the Zeal map, where someone paid 1000c for a 75R glass dome? And finally, whether or not we can sell them, is there a limit to the size which we can build personal structures? Obviously I can't place a cobblestone block every 5 blocks and call it a structure, but what if I really built a 100R glass dome? If it looks nice and maybe has a function (pfft. I don't know what I'd do with 100R of land) it would all be mine, right? Protected by anti-grief laws and everything... maybe even sell-able on the Trade forum?

TL;DR
Can we sell personal structures (or outlines) on unprotected land?
Is there a size limit to personal wilderness structures? (assuming the structure actually looks good)

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Remastered Tier 2 Supporter
Unwritten rules are stupid. I'm going to go through this and pull out anything important and add it to the rules page.

Edit: I read through this entire thread. Many of the posts are people who didn't read the rules, or strange situations for currently defined rules, or rare wacky shit like selling your house, haha. I see nothing that needs to be posted on the wiki.

So... in "whacky" circumstances, I'm just gonna do whatever I want. If there's no rule about a restricted size of a wilderness structure, then I can make a personal dome any size I want, and the entire area of Aurum is for sale, not just the 50R that Kainzo said it was. Got it.

deadalucard

Stone
Unwritten rules are stupid. I'm going to go through this and pull out anything important and add it to the rules page.

Edit: I read through this entire thread. Many of the posts are people who didn't read the rules, or strange situations for currently defined rules, or rare wacky shit like selling your house, haha. I see nothing that needs to be posted on the wiki.

the current rules
Griefing may be defined as:
  • Destroying blocks in another player's structure.
    • Destroying blocks in pursuit of another player is acceptable if blocks are replaced
the normal way of udnerstanding it would be replacing the blocks at the same place, or else i can destroy a wall and place the block elsewhere. So the rule about moving a bed 1 block is not in the current rules. (in the last 3 days i heard many people argue the fact its not in the rules and several stating the rule) so i think it should be written another way

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
Bedcamping rules have changed, and the attacker is no longer required to break the bed. See: http://herocraftonline.com/forum/index.php?threads/herocraft-online-service-rules.6159/

"1.2.5.2 It isn't spawn killing if the player can break the cycle of death (breaking beds/getting away from the death cycle)"

The only way a player couldn't break their own bed is if they were in a region they didn't have access to, which is kinda dumb in the first place.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
So... in "whacky" circumstances, I'm just gonna do whatever I want. If there's no rule about a restricted size of a wilderness structure, then I can make a personal dome any size I want, and the entire area of Aurum is for sale, not just the 50R that Kainzo said it was. Got it.

Don't be snarky. Iarboray is selling the Hamlet, which means he is selling a 50-radius structure.

It's not a Hamlet. It's a 90R outline for a city.
EDIT: But you're right about being snarky.... I apologize and I'll try to work on it.

Alator

Ancient Soul
Legacy Supporter 7
It's not a Hamlet. It's a 90R outline for a city.
EDIT: But you're right about being snarky.... I apologize and I'll try to work on it.

Hehe, thanks. I just have a low tolerance for people being overtly disrespectful. Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and say Kaizno's point about selling only the 50r area is so people can't say "I'm working towards hamlet and don't have it yet but I plan on using this 125 radius area in 3 or 4 months so this entire region is mine now and if you want to build here you can buy it from me!" Even before the land is claimed.

Danda

Dungeon Master Extremist
Staff member
Administrator
Guide
Wiki Team
Max Legacy Supporter
Bedcamping rules have changed, and the attacker is no longer required to break the bed. See: http://herocraftonline.com/forum/index.php?threads/herocraft-online-service-rules.6159/

"1.2.5.2 It isn't spawn killing if the player can break the cycle of death (breaking beds/getting away from the death cycle)"

The only way a player couldn't break their own bed is if they were in a region they didn't have access to, which is kinda dumb in the first place.
@Kainzo this rule should not have changed this is allowing people to bed camp consistently for ages without being force to break the bed by the rules.

Texteo has been farming the same guy now for the past 10-15 mins and is currently sitting at an 87 kill streak because of it.

Sleaker had a good idea to remove pvp exp gains when you're around beds.

This also works but making it the defenders choice to break the bed or not still allows people to farm for the kill streak titles with relative ease.